ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2015

Ideas Wanted!

<< < (2/7) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Not saying it is what you want or hope but Link Collector is pretty simple and decent http://www.portablebookmarkmanager.com/

As for ideas, the thing I need most these days is related to text, csv, mysql and conversions in such formats. If by chance anybody cares I will explain further but its probably impossible, impractical and/or solves my unique need only.
-rgdot (October 07, 2014, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Rgdot,

This will be a bit left field of a post, but it's hopefully a tip that could advise you sometime. Have you ever taken your desired software/goal to an outsourcing shop like oDesk? Sure there's a range on there of bad to good devs, but to my mind it at least gets some of the doubt out. Being purely ethical, you post your desired project, and when the replies come back, after you weed out a couple of "yes men", the first wave tells you if it is impractical, (little is impossible, only impractical to high degrees!!), and then they don't care if it solves your unique need only. Everyone has unique needs.

An idea I have vaguely pondered is tag-teaming DC guys with the outsource guys. I've talked a bit here and there about "coding lunches". NANY seems to be the once-a-year coding lunch here, bigger than the quick coding snacks. It's a bit of a risk, to commit to a NANY coding lunch.

But let's say you spin it once through a couple of those freelancers. You'll get info back if it's doable or not. Maybe only for a couple hundred bucks.

And here is a bit of where the koala (not as bad as an elephant and far cuter) in the room is. There's a weird part of Internet Culture that likes stuff for "free". (For varying interpretations of free.) I coined the metaphor about coding snacks vs lunches to help separate where someone's genius creating a script in x hours drifts over into a beautiful but time-chewing app.

And I think when people need custom tools do do whatever saves themselves tons of headache but is low reach, be ready to spend a "few" bucks. The way you phrase it is something like "give me feedback and a three hour mock-up". Across X devs, that should be enough to spot some of the worst pitfalls, then you go to your secret DC enclave armed with 3rd level questions, rather than the opener.

You get to say stuff like (made up gibberish coming) "So I posted my idea, two wanted to do it in C++, one wanted reg C, one wanted Python. Three of them said X, Y, and H are a problem. The fourth agreed H was a problem but he had A, B, and Q concerns. Here's three mockups, two in C++, the C guy bowed out, and one in Python. So what do you guys think?"

rgdot:
Thanks, you are right of course. I will eventually have to go the way you describe or just abandon the project altogether.

y2kusuma:
Hmm...

How about a good but basic standalone bookmark manager. Ideally one that stored its data in a text or xml file. Most of the old ones have either disappeared or are no longer actively developed. Or they have everything plus the kitchen sink included. I'd just be looking for folders in a tree, the site name, site URL, description/note field, and maybe be allowed some category tags. Hot key popup and the ability to capture the URL of whatever page is currently displayed in the browser would be a definite plus.
-40hz (October 07, 2014, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
i just had a 30 minute discussion on this yesterday!
I totally support this idea.  I'll add:
simple syncing with all devices and browsers, ideally no plugins needed.

And this feature, which is very unrealistic, but would be awesome:
ability to search ONLY in your bookmarks for keywords.  Or just the sites that are bookmarked.  Man, I would love that.
-superboyac (October 07, 2014, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would like to add too:
syncing with online services: pinboard, diigo or xmarks

skwire:
simple syncing with all devices and browsers, ideally no plugins needed.

And this feature, which is very unrealistic, but would be awesome:
ability to search ONLY in your bookmarks for keywords.  Or just the sites that are bookmarked.  Man, I would love that.-superboyac (October 07, 2014, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

syncing with online services: pinboard, diigo or xmarks-y2kusuma (October 07, 2014, 11:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kinda blows 40Hz's "basic" and "standalone" requirements right out of the water, eh?   :P

ewemoa:
How about a good but basic standalone bookmark manager. Ideally one that stored its data in a text or xml file.
-40hz (October 07, 2014, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Architecture (i.e. protocols and formats) to manage bookmarks independent of browser.  Extend with plugins -- even UI so text-mode as well as browser-based operation possible.  Multi-platform too.

Except perhaps for the core, we write plugins contributing different functionality (e.g. UI for management, different browser backend support, etc.) for this NANY :)

40hz's requirements get fulfilled by architecture + a small number of plugins. Anything extra is icing!

(We can choose to ship different combinations of the core and plugins too.)

please note...the smily!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version