ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mind Mapping Software - What are the current top players now?

<< < (5/6) > >>

dr_andus:
I like VUE, Compendium etc, but don't often use them because they seem too much trouble. Agree with the idea that I want something quicker/rougher for my own use rather than prettification.
-Dormouse (October 10, 2014, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think there are various degrees of needs and use cases between a) needing to draw a quick brainstorming sketch, for which paper and pen (or a digital version for hand-drawing) suffice, and b) drawing a complex conceptual map with 50+ nodes, consisting of various types of groupings and relationships between them, where it becomes very handy to be able to reposition the various groupings and colour them in as different, and then save and export the whole thing as an image that can be dropped into a notes database.

It's for these latter types of uses that I'd recommend VUE et al. for. This is not about prettification and presentation at all (for that I'd use SmartDraw). There is of course a trade-off between speed of hand-drawing and the ability to do multiple rearrangements for the purposes of analysis (for which I find VUE still pretty quick, e.g. by using the "fast prototyping" feature), but sometimes it's worth putting in the extra effort to get those added benefits.

wraith808:
Will probably end up buying Scapple, if only because of integration with Evernote
--- End quote ---

... what integration?  I looked it up after I saw your post, thinking I'd missed something.  I don't see anywhere that it integrates with Evernote...?

Dormouse:
Will probably end up buying Scapple, if only because of integration with Evernote
--- End quote ---

... what integration?  I looked it up after I saw your post, thinking I'd missed something.  I don't see anywhere that it integrates with Evernote...?
-wraith808 (October 10, 2014, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I might well be wrong, as I've only just had a quick look at it so far. I picked the comment up from this:-
There are also some free concept mappers out there, such as Visual Understanding Environment (VUE) (which I prefer) and CmapTools. Neither of these are hierarchical mind mappers, i.e. they do not force you to build a tree-like hierarchy. But they may not integrate with Scrivener as nicely as Scapple does, of course.
-dr_andus (April 04, 2014, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

And any level of integration with Scrivener would be a plus for me.

wraith808:
Yes, it integrates with Scrivener... but I haven't seen an integration with Evernote. :(

40hz:
I haven't had much luck with feel, speed of response, and resolution on tablets so far.  Some day perhaps...

I've been using a small whiteboard for sketching things out and a camera to take pictures for later viewing :)
-ewemoa (October 09, 2014, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've also found using PostIt notes in conjunction with a whiteboard to be very productive. Minimizes a lot of rewriting (and possibly losing something) if you want to rearrange the board down the road. I'll also tape photos, illustrations, graphics, etc. up there and mostly use the board to draw connecting lines or small notes. A lot easier than corkboard, pins and colored string. Let's you jot ideas and things when you're away from the board too. I keep a small notebook, a pen, and a block of PostIts on me at all times.

Note: really like the idea of photographing the board to make a 'copy.' Nice! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version