ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mind Mapping Software - What are the current top players now?

<< < (4/6) > >>

dr_andus:
It's a little bit different take on organization- not rightly a mind-map, but more of a mind-tree.
-wraith808 (October 09, 2014, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say Gingko is closer to hierarchical tree-like mind-mappers (Freeplane etc.) than to non-hierarchical concept mappers like Scapple, VUE or CmapTools (which are not tree-based), as Gingko is a fairly strict implementation of a left-to-right-and-down tree hierarchy (and in that sense even more restrictive than traditional mind-mappers, where you could choose to have the tree branch off in any direction (left, or right, up or down, or in a circle)).

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I love Gingko, but I'd consider it as more of an outliner for structured development and writing than a "draw anything in any direction and connect them in whatever way you like" type brainstorming tools (like concept mappers a la Scapple, VUE etc. are).

dr_andus:
Again, I seem to have a personal confusion regarding the definition of mind map.  What is that?  A brainstorm?  It seems to imply a center, that's all i know.  the Brain is probably the most "mind map" thing I've found in the way it presents information (similar to how we think through connections).  But scapple is the same with a more simple format.  I like it better in that I can place things on the screen as i please, I don't have to fiddle around with the Brain's weird 3D space-universe.

mind map, brainstorm, flowchart, outline.  :stars:
-superboyac (October 07, 2014, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the confusion is mainly due to the developers in this segment of the software industry never agreeing on a sensible nomenclature and then sticking to it. For example if you say "word processor," "browser", "outliner", users have a clearer idea what type of tools those are.

But to call a spatially distributed version of a hierarchical outline a "mind map" was a mistake, as it is not really a map of a mind, and there is no reason to associate the map of a mind with a hierarchical structure that starts from a central node. It was just a catchy name for marketing purposes but it confused the industry and users for good.

"Concept mapping software" for the likes of Scapple, VUE, CmapTools is a more accurate name because it makes no grandiose claims about mapping your mind. It just shows relationships between various concepts, which can refer to anything in the world, not just to one's mind...

I would put the Brain in an entirely different category as a "visual wiki" that could be used to create an external memory device, but then that's what any database or library is. The Brain just gives you a more visual way of experiencing and managing your library. So the Brain is more of a database for organising a lot of data for the long term, while I'd consider so-called "mind mappers" and concept mappers better suited to deal with single brainstorming, outlining or writing jobs.

Dormouse:
I quite liked the look of Gingko, but couldn't possibly use an app that relied on internet access.

I like VUE, Compendium etc, but don't often use them because they seem too much trouble. Agree with the idea that I want something quicker/rougher for my own use rather than prettification. Will probably end up buying Scapple, if only because of integration with Evernote Scrivener (and L&L's very reasonable pricing model :)).

I'm probably with Superboyac on this. I don't notice any of ewemoa's problems with my tablet (res 2560x1600, Octs core, 32GB) and can have infinite sheet size using Papyrus; though maybe I simply haven't developed his level of discrimination. And the good thing for me is that I am actually using it instead of playing about every now and again.

I will eventually have a look at Brain. So many comments saying it is different, but I haven't yet and it seems like a lot of work for 95% of the things I'd be wanting to do in idea visualisation.

From my point of view, a writing system has to be hierarchical because the final product will start at the beginning and proceed to an end (so could imagine using Gingko if weren't online). But information and ideas are rarely hierarchical even though they may have an apparent hierarchy through increasing detail/depth.

ewemoa:
my tablet (res 2560x1600, Octs core, 32GB) and can have infinite sheet size using Papyrus;
-Dormouse (October 10, 2014, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mmm, seems nice!

FWIW, a number of times that I've drawn these sorts of diagrams, I've felt that I run out of space -- and part of the point for me is to be able to take in stuff all at once.  Scrolling or paging is a big no-no for me.  Where's our full-featured VR gear? ;)

Dormouse:
FWIW, a number of times that I've drawn these sorts of diagrams, I've felt that I run out of space -- and part of the point for me is to be able to take in stuff all at once. 
-ewemoa (October 10, 2014, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed. One of the first things I checked for each app was how big a virtual sheet could I have.
I find the zoom is good enough for me most of the time - I don't do really huge diagrams.
Also find that the quality of the stylus/digitiser is critical for the pen approach to be functional.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version