ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Who is your Favourite "Doctor"?

<< < (3/12) > >>

wraith808:
Not all of the Doctor's companions were hot babes.
-Renegade (October 06, 2014, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

No.  Really?!?   ;D

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

No.  Really?!?   ;D
-wraith808 (October 06, 2014, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Touche! :)

TaoPhoenix:
Both Dr. Who and Star Trek have a slight problem where the big passage of time skews things - "you learn from those who came before you", and production budgets and standards have changed, favoring the new guys. So we giggle at some of the quirks of the older shows, but they are only there to giggle at because they made enough of a name not to be forgotten.

I tended not to follow Dr. Who much at all - just never really got into it. I did watch some of the new stuff idly a while ago in a marathon, but marathons are a bit of a disposable activity.

The only other Doctor I know anything about is Tom Baker, but it's hardly a "scientific" opinion - your favorite becomes the only one you know!
: )

MilesAhead:
--- End quote ---

No.  Really?!?   ;D
-wraith808 (October 06, 2014, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I always suspected K9 was lulling The Doctor into a false sense of K9's subservience.  Just biding his time.  Sure enough he ended up with his own show.  I gather it only lasted one season?  Probably the human companion didn't show enough skin to buoy the, er, ratings.  I thought the K9 shows were fun though. I guess I would vote for it as Favorite Spin-off.  (Was there another?  I don't remember.)   :)

rjbull:
I'm torn; Tom Baker was the Doctor, but I enjoyed the flamboyant exuberance of Jon Pertwee.

As for companions, the luscious Leela has been mentioned, but I also loved Jo, the super-scrumptious Katy Manning in Jon Pertwee days, and liked Nyssa, Sarah Sutton, too.  Some people thought Adric was a pain...

The villains; yes, some of them were terrifying to look at, but some of the more "normal" ones were maybe worse.  Viz., Roger Delgado's elegant megalomaniac The Master, delighting in destruction; and I found the insane militarist the Graff Vynda-K chilling.

I've only watched a few of the "modern" episodes and haven't found them anything like as enthralling.  Perhaps that's rosy-tinted nostalgia, but it just isn't the same show that I used to enjoy so much.  Much more slick production, of course, but what use is that?  It looks much like any other slick modern made-for-TV film.  People used to snigger at the cheap production of classic Dr. Who, but maintaining any sort of willing suspense of disbelief of a big ask with a show of this kind.  I thought the rough and ready, make do and mend look of the cheap production actually helped by making things more like real life.  Now, things seem too bright and colourful; everybody is too well turned out in designer clothes, too clean and tidy; even the modern cybermen look like they're fresh from a cyber boy band.  The classic "big ears" versions were more scary because they were humanoid but a travesty of humans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version