ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

not freeware !!!

<< < (2/10) > >>

edyshor:
Hey there .. again, after long time .. 8)

I've gotten here again, by accident (jumping from link to link you might say) and i'm quite surprised to see that my account is still valid (you either don't do much cleaning on the zombie accounts or you keep them on-line for the 1 year thingie, either way, it's a good feeling to see i'm still alive on the forum :D)

No i still don't agree with your methods :mad: but the quality of your software seems to drive me back to this page from every quality tools/freeware site i'm visiting so ..  :-\ umm .. here i am again ..

I'm glad to see the comunity you've strived to gather is well formed and supporting, proving that a little .. :-\ umm ..imposed "thank yous" is beneficial for founding and building a supporting comunity (psychological fact - people feel the need to be part of what they contribute materialy to - but you should know material contribution are not the only way) wich is good for the life of the project, but you still give me a creepy "political" feeling :(

Anyway, you're in the business to make money, that's for shure, but your methods are more than questionable from the ethical point of view. I didn't belive i would ever say this, but i feel more confortable browsing a page full of banners asking me to buy/join/visit-to be convinced into buying of course ;) than browsing your site where on every page i see messages that try to pursuade me into buying your software (conveyed under the more relaxed therm "donating" wich drasticaly cheapens the concept - this is the creepy part, similar to Iran's "civil" Nuclear Programe :-\)

Anyway, my ranting won't change your minds or your actions, but one my regrets (aside the knoledgable misuse of donationware concept) is the fact that i can't use your progys as i would liked to .. you see, i have a nice collection of freeware stand-alone progys (small, fast, cute, and oh-so-usefull tools - just the exe and maybe a chm file) that are portable, OS traceless (most of them) that work without aditional dll's of other support files. I've gathered this collection over the years from differet sources, freeware (real freeware) authors (sysinternal, nirsoft, rejetto, arcanewood, even microsoft - top name just a few), now unless your exe apps write the licence information into their code they ar not that protable, and neither stand-alone. Witch is quite sad, for the best quick and dirty tools are small, fast, free (as in no feedback - of any type - required), stand-alone, and cute as hell  :-*

I've downloaded a few of your apps to see what's all the fuss about them, but even if they are the next best thing from sliced bread they can't go into 'MyProgys' collection  :( .. at best into my 'Kittz' folder ..

Have fun, and I trully hope that youll consider refining this 'pressured' payware system you're using. Why not call it .. umm .. nag-ware .. or if that souds to ugly maybe .. 'free (but better donations) registration software' .. or even better .. 'software per donations' .. :D now this one seems to be the perfect naming and the most acurate of them all (and its marketing friendly too) 8)

Don't think that i don't appreciate the work you're doing or the quality of your software, but coveing the purpose under a quite honorable concept its not a verry nice thing to do.

You sell software, its plain and simple, not by limiting its use to less than basic functionality or short usage period before the user has to choose wether to buy it or not, you do it buy using anoyances (nags, limited licences) and quite unfair marketing techniques (donation - a honorable thing to do, people who donate are good people, they feel good about themselfs when they donate), so being assaulted by spam on all your webpages + nags + limited licensing, they will donate because it's a good thing to do, they will thing they did it because they wanted to do it (after all the soft is free, is great, they deserves to give them some bucks) but the poor man doesn't realize that they are forced to do it, foced by the spam, by the annoyance (they will percive it as a reward from you when they are relived of it) ..

Is it ethical? No It's not !! It's dirty, it's manipulative, It's something i really don't like! Soon we'll have pay for centimeters cubes of air inhaled because the governments own it, the trees produce oxigen, the government owns the forests so it's only logical that we contribute with a little reward (a donation) to them for keeping the forests alive (after they decimated most of it over the decades) ..

Probably this is a rather long post and the thing is i'm not finished, i can't stress it enough, but i'll stop here because, as i've said before, my ranting ain't gonna change noting.

The tools look nice, probably they do theyr job nicely, to bad they came out in the open under the donationware shadow  :(

have fun, and good luck

jgpaiva:
Actually, as far as i know, all of mouser's tools are portable. They all use .ini files and only change stuff on their own directory.

brotherS:
@edyshor: please try to accept it or just ignore it, the concept won't radically change just because you still don't agree with it. Whatever you do in life, you'll never be able to satisfy *everybody*.

Like one speaker once said: "If you didn't upset at least one person until noon you aren't taking enough action in life." :D

app103:
Maybe you should look at it from this perspective like I do:

Donationware is not freeware, but you can get it for free.

Donationware is similar to shareware, but you set the price you are willing to pay and think it is worth to you. That amount can be anything from $0 to $billions (I wish).

And not all donationware has nags reminding you that a human worked hard coding it and would be grateful if you supported it.

My stuff just has a link in the about box. And yes, there are graphics & text encouraging donating on all the pages of my website, too.

Part of the problem is that much of our stuff is being distributed on software download sites, and most people that download it from those sites will never see our site, never look in the about box, never know where it really came from, never know there is someone that would appreciate a donation.

The 'nags' are a way to call attention to the fact it is donationware.

I think the real problem is the download sites. They have only 2 choices of licensing when you submit something: shareware, or freeware.

We can't pick shareware, because it's not exactly true, since you can get it for free.  And picking freeware seems to make a few people angry because they don't like being told they can have it for free, but they have to do 'something' simple like get a free key.

I have seen some freeware that refused to work unless it was able to phone home and check for updates. The software would make you return to the site once a month to get a 'new version' that was no different than the previous one, except it has a new number in the about box. Each time you came back to the site you were smacked in the face with tons of ads and had to click and go through about 3-4 pages to get to the link to download the new version. 

So coming to this site 3 times for a key is a lot friendlier than making you come back for a new version every month for the rest of your life and hoping that you'll click an ad by mistake while you are here, just to make $0.02.

nudone:
 ;D :) 8) ;) :( >:( :D :tellme: :o :huh: :-[ :down: :up: :Thmbsup: :'( :mad: :-\ :-* :P i think i've made myself perfectly clear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version