topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684630 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #1225 on: April 18, 2021, 08:13 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1226 on: June 15, 2021, 12:11 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1227 on: June 18, 2021, 09:25 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1228 on: June 25, 2021, 11:24 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1229 on: July 07, 2021, 03:38 PM »
How to use Windows Sandbox in the Windows 10 May 2019 Update.jpgWindows 10 Announced

How to use Windows Sandbox in the Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Windows May 2019 has a sandbox function you can use for lightweight testing of suspect programs or sites.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1230 on: July 14, 2021, 07:09 PM »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1231 on: July 17, 2021, 02:20 AM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1232 on: July 17, 2021, 09:45 AM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Microsoft unveils Windows 365, a Windows 10 PC in the cloud

Yeah, about that...

I guess if you use the term Revenue Enhancement it is not a tax increase. Likewise if you have a Personal Computer that can only function when connected to The Cloud(tm) it is not a dumb terminal.  Forget having a President of the USA.  Instead let us just elect a SysOp and make that person(or AI entity) omnipotent.  Hey!  As long as we vote the SysOp into poweer it is still Democracy(tm) right?

But just let me have my UHD TV and GB/s network, steel-belted performance radials on cool looking rims and 4 wheel disk breaks and I won't say a thing. (To update the movie Network.)   8)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1233 on: July 17, 2021, 02:12 PM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Microsoft unveils Windows 365, a Windows 10 PC in the cloud

Yeah, about that...

But this has been a reality for a while. It's just that microsoft is getting into that space. I've been looking at getting a Shadow for a while.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1234 on: July 19, 2021, 05:30 PM »
But this has been a reality for a while. It's just that microsoft is getting into that space. I've been looking at getting a Shadow for a while.

You should check the viability of their business plan. I heard Linus form video channel Linus Tech Tips mention that Shadow isn't a financially sound organization. I believe that was in his weekly talking head-piece...in the week that he did a review of similar services. More of a place that over-promises and under-delivers. The videos he creates are usually sponsored and likely Shadow didn't fulfill their contractual financial obligations.

Better, to get a very "beefy" server that can act as file server and gaming computer. Apparently you can get pretty long extension cables, so the server can be centrally stored while you can divide up the "beefiness" from the server up to multiple workstations/terminals in the house. One place to install games/tools, while assigning sufficient hardware to workstations/terminals in the house.

Very little amount of cabling needing to go through the house (but the cabling that needs to go through the house is expensive, in case you want 4k support everywhere), that usually gets the 'partner approved'-stamp quickly. Added bonus, drastic noise reduction at all the workstations and/or terminals in the house. Yet there is barely any extra latency (hence the price tag on the cabling) between video output and user input.

Sure, initial costs are prohibitive, but will last you longer, will be far more reliable and enjoyable for gaming and you reduced the amount of "rent-seekers" on your disposable income. I found that having way less of those has a very beneficial effect on your (mental) well-being. The comfort-level these services try to lure you with is, more often than not, not worth the costs.

Feel the same about the Microsoft Windows 365 product. Companies that might think they need it, they still need a desk, a seat and office space for the person that uses their Windows in the cloud. Those persons also still need a little bit of hardware. The extra costs of purchase, maintenance and energy of that low-end hardware won't be that much of an issue. And it is not like you can do away with the IT department completely, so it doesn't save much, especially with the off-set of the extra costs you (as a company) now need to pay to Microsoft. And if you need to pay according to usage, not a set amount, there is a significant chance it might end up being more expensive.

A solution in search of a problem. I'm sure that all of the above sound like I'm an anti-cloud person. There are many cloud-projects that I like/enjoy, but if I can run such projects on my own hardware, I'm more inclined to do that. A nice learning opportunity and most do not require that powerful hardware for small(er) organizations. A re-purposed old computer or (rack-)server is easily deployed as machine that runs these new services more than adequately, depending on the period of writing computing equipment off.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1235 on: July 19, 2021, 08:21 PM »
You should check the viability of their business plan. I heard Linus form video channel Linus Tech Tips mention that Shadow isn't a financially sound organization. I believe that was in his weekly talking head-piece...in the week that he did a review of similar services. More of a place that over-promises and under-delivers. The videos he creates are usually sponsored and likely Shadow didn't fulfill their contractual financial obligations.

Not sure how recent this is, or even if it's about the same company, but Shadow has been in business for over 6 years at this point; I've been following them for that long, looking to see if it was even something I wanted to get into.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1236 on: July 19, 2021, 10:29 PM »
I've been looking at getting a Shadow for a while.

not sure I understand the model - seems like you need a computer in order to end with...well...a computer...

Never been a fan of outsourcing, and this seems like its taking it to an extreme...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1237 on: July 20, 2021, 05:41 AM »
A totally cloud based Windows...
do-not-want-dog[1].jpg

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1238 on: July 20, 2021, 02:31 PM »
I've been looking at getting a Shadow for a while.

not sure I understand the model - seems like you need a computer in order to end with...well...a computer...

Never been a fan of outsourcing, and this seems like its taking it to an extreme...

You're not really outsourcing, you're getting additional power for a purpose. Not for everyone, I suppose, but I already have a couple of EC2 instances that I use for various reasons that I could have used my home computer for, so I guess I'm more primed than others to use it.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1239 on: July 20, 2021, 05:41 PM »
I can see an attraction in Shadow. Depending on what you go for you can have a reasonably or very powerful Windows PC, for as many months as you need it and no more. Accessing it from any internet connected device you already have whatever its age and OS. It's the same as taxis and hiring a car for holidays can be better value than buying a car and being responsible for maintaining it. Advantages and disadvantages according to your needs.

And their financial viability isn't really your problem since you only commit for a month at a time.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1240 on: July 21, 2021, 09:45 AM »
And their financial viability isn't really your problem since you only commit for a month at a time.

That depends on what you use it for and how volatile that use case is. I know if AWS went down, I'd lose quite a bit of time (I have the data backed up locally, but still). So it can be a concern. But I'd agree, with responsible use, their viability is there problem.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1241 on: July 21, 2021, 10:55 AM »
It's the same as taxis and hiring a car for holidays can be better value than buying a car and being responsible for maintaining it. Advantages and disadvantages according to your needs.

Or perhaps this perspective more closely matches wraith's use-case:

I own a car. It's not in the greatest condition, but reliable enough for my daily needs. I'm not willing to pay what it would cost to buy a new (or only a couple years old) vehicle. But when I take a multi-day trip out of town, I rent a car. I get the benefits of a much newer vehicle which is in much better condition than mine, so I'm not concerned about it breaking down during the trip. And I also don't put those miles on my own car, which will help it last just that much longer before I have to replace it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1242 on: July 22, 2021, 01:47 PM »
Or perhaps this perspective more closely matches wraith's use-case:

I own a car. It's not in the greatest condition, but reliable enough for my daily needs. I'm not willing to pay what it would cost to buy a new (or only a couple years old) vehicle. But when I take a multi-day trip out of town, I rent a car. I get the benefits of a much newer vehicle which is in much better condition than mine, so I'm not concerned about it breaking down during the trip. And I also don't put those miles on my own car, which will help it last just that much longer before I have to replace it.

Bingo! And the one part that isn't encapsulated in the vehicular analogy is the fact that in order to host what I need to host, I'd have to worry about a lot of infrastructure things that AWS is easier to configure (mostly because I'm certified in AWS but know a hill of beans about general networking).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1243 on: August 21, 2021, 01:29 PM »
I upgraded a six-year old laptop to Windows 10 today. Downloaded the ISO on the machine itself -- it automatically presumes it's for that machine unless you indicate otherwise. I then replaced the HDD with an SSD and installed.

What surprised me is that it is activated without any input from me (digital license) -- I can only presume it used the license from the previous Windows 7 install. (I was hoping I would be able to use the 7 key to upgrade, but wasnt expecting it to be this easy. It was Windows 7 pro fwiw.

Another plus is it fixed a couple of problems (a very long running problem where the graphics driver crashed, seemingly related to the touchpad; and a more recent problem of faded screen colours in some situations). So, I'm a happy camper :-)
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1244 on: August 22, 2021, 02:46 AM »
Migrating from 7 to 10 was free. While it is not free anymore officially, Microsoft still doesn't charge you if you upgrade. There is a loophole for people with disabilities. And Microsoft doesn't check if that moniker applies to you or not.

Anyway, your registration data from Windows 7 is retrievable for the Windows 10 installer too. While I would not expect it to be the case, if you were using a Microsoft account in Windows 7, your registration data is stored at Microsoft. Reusing that account will activate Windows 10 as well. So, there are 3 ways around activation in your case.However, you should check if you now have Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Pro. Although you (the user) would expect this to be the case, but if I understood correctly, that is only if you bought a retail version of Windows 7 Pro. If you bought an OEM system with Windows 7 Pro on it, it got demoted to Windows 10 Home after the upgrade to 10.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1245 on: August 22, 2021, 03:16 AM »
Migrating from 7 to 10 was free. While it is not free anymore officially, Microsoft still doesn't charge you if you upgrade. There is a loophole for people with disabilities. And Microsoft doesn't check if that moniker applies to you or not.

Anyway, your registration data from Windows 7 is retrievable for the Windows 10 installer too. While I would not expect it to be the case, if you were using a Microsoft account in Windows 7, your registration data is stored at Microsoft. Reusing that account will activate Windows 10 as well. So, there are 3 ways around activation in your case.However, you should check if you now have Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Pro. Although you (the user) would expect this to be the case, but if I understood correctly, that is only if you bought a retail version of Windows 7 Pro. If you bought an OEM system with Windows 7 Pro on it, it got demoted to Windows 10 Home after the upgrade to 10.
  • yeah, I was just surprised the upgrade was still working -- and in such a user friendly manner at that...
  • local account, so yeah, I presume the installer retrieved the data
  • they were generous and gave me Pro version. It's a Dell business laptop fwiw, but still OEM I presume. Note that here in Germany you are legally allowed sell OEM copies of Windows for general use (I've bought and installed a couple of OEM copies of earlier versions of Windows over the years). That could possibly be a factor here.
Tom

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1246 on: September 04, 2021, 10:09 PM »
Microsoft’s Windows Subsystem for Android app spotted in the Store.jpgWindows 10 Announced     This Seemingly Normal Lightning Cable Will Leak Everything You Type.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft’s Windows Subsystem for Android app spotted in the Store

Now the question is: "Will this work with Windows 10 as well as Win 11?"

This Seemingly Normal Lightning Cable Will Leak Everything You Type

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 10:46 AM by Arizona Hot »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1248 on: December 17, 2021, 04:30 PM »
Has Notepad disappeared for anyone else?

I noticed a couple days ago that regular .txt files have started opening in LibreOffice, showing the icon for "Calc" which is the LibreOffice equivalent of Excel.

Spreadsheet Icon.png

When I go to Default Apps to change it back to Notepad, there's no listing for it.

Notepad Default App.pngWindows 10 Announced

And also if I press the Start/Windows button and type Notepad to search for it, I don't get any matching results.

Notepad search.pngWindows 10 Announced

What happened to Notepad?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #1249 on: December 17, 2021, 04:53 PM »
What happened to Notepad?
I still have mine. Did yesterday anyway.
10 not 11 though.