ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (249/253) > >>

wraith808:
And their financial viability isn't really your problem since you only commit for a month at a time.
-Dormouse (July 20, 2021, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

That depends on what you use it for and how volatile that use case is. I know if AWS went down, I'd lose quite a bit of time (I have the data backed up locally, but still). So it can be a concern. But I'd agree, with responsible use, their viability is there problem.

Deozaan:
It's the same as taxis and hiring a car for holidays can be better value than buying a car and being responsible for maintaining it. Advantages and disadvantages according to your needs.-Dormouse (July 20, 2021, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or perhaps this perspective more closely matches wraith's use-case:

I own a car. It's not in the greatest condition, but reliable enough for my daily needs. I'm not willing to pay what it would cost to buy a new (or only a couple years old) vehicle. But when I take a multi-day trip out of town, I rent a car. I get the benefits of a much newer vehicle which is in much better condition than mine, so I'm not concerned about it breaking down during the trip. And I also don't put those miles on my own car, which will help it last just that much longer before I have to replace it.

wraith808:
Or perhaps this perspective more closely matches wraith's use-case:

I own a car. It's not in the greatest condition, but reliable enough for my daily needs. I'm not willing to pay what it would cost to buy a new (or only a couple years old) vehicle. But when I take a multi-day trip out of town, I rent a car. I get the benefits of a much newer vehicle which is in much better condition than mine, so I'm not concerned about it breaking down during the trip. And I also don't put those miles on my own car, which will help it last just that much longer before I have to replace it.
-Deozaan (July 21, 2021, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo! And the one part that isn't encapsulated in the vehicular analogy is the fact that in order to host what I need to host, I'd have to worry about a lot of infrastructure things that AWS is easier to configure (mostly because I'm certified in AWS but know a hill of beans about general networking).

tomos:
I upgraded a six-year old laptop to Windows 10 today. Downloaded the ISO on the machine itself -- it automatically presumes it's for that machine unless you indicate otherwise. I then replaced the HDD with an SSD and installed.

What surprised me is that it is activated without any input from me (digital license) -- I can only presume it used the license from the previous Windows 7 install. (I was hoping I would be able to use the 7 key to upgrade, but wasnt expecting it to be this easy. It was Windows 7 pro fwiw.

Another plus is it fixed a couple of problems (a very long running problem where the graphics driver crashed, seemingly related to the touchpad; and a more recent problem of faded screen colours in some situations). So, I'm a happy camper :-)

Shades:
Migrating from 7 to 10 was free. While it is not free anymore officially, Microsoft still doesn't charge you if you upgrade. There is a loophole for people with disabilities. And Microsoft doesn't check if that moniker applies to you or not.

Anyway, your registration data from Windows 7 is retrievable for the Windows 10 installer too. While I would not expect it to be the case, if you were using a Microsoft account in Windows 7, your registration data is stored at Microsoft. Reusing that account will activate Windows 10 as well. So, there are 3 ways around activation in your case.However, you should check if you now have Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Pro. Although you (the user) would expect this to be the case, but if I understood correctly, that is only if you bought a retail version of Windows 7 Pro. If you bought an OEM system with Windows 7 Pro on it, it got demoted to Windows 10 Home after the upgrade to 10.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version