ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (248/253) > >>

wraith808:
You should check the viability of their business plan. I heard Linus form video channel Linus Tech Tips mention that Shadow isn't a financially sound organization. I believe that was in his weekly talking head-piece...in the week that he did a review of similar services. More of a place that over-promises and under-delivers. The videos he creates are usually sponsored and likely Shadow didn't fulfill their contractual financial obligations.
-Shades (July 19, 2021, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure how recent this is, or even if it's about the same company, but Shadow has been in business for over 6 years at this point; I've been following them for that long, looking to see if it was even something I wanted to get into.

Target:
I've been looking at getting a Shadow for a while.-wraith808 (July 19, 2021, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

not sure I understand the model - seems like you need a computer in order to end with...well...a computer...

Never been a fan of outsourcing, and this seems like its taking it to an extreme...

Stoic Joker:
A totally cloud based Windows...

wraith808:
I've been looking at getting a Shadow for a while.-wraith808 (July 19, 2021, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

not sure I understand the model - seems like you need a computer in order to end with...well...a computer...

Never been a fan of outsourcing, and this seems like its taking it to an extreme...

-Target (July 19, 2021, 10:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're not really outsourcing, you're getting additional power for a purpose. Not for everyone, I suppose, but I already have a couple of EC2 instances that I use for various reasons that I could have used my home computer for, so I guess I'm more primed than others to use it.

Dormouse:
I can see an attraction in Shadow. Depending on what you go for you can have a reasonably or very powerful Windows PC, for as many months as you need it and no more. Accessing it from any internet connected device you already have whatever its age and OS. It's the same as taxis and hiring a car for holidays can be better value than buying a car and being responsible for maintaining it. Advantages and disadvantages according to your needs.

And their financial viability isn't really your problem since you only commit for a month at a time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version