ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (233/253) > >>

4wd:
The Windows 10 Start Menu still has a hierarchical layout like it did in Windows 7 and earlier, and AFAIK you're able to organize it however you want.-Deozaan (February 19, 2020, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't delete any entries nor can I drag'n'drop to rearrange them - everything just gets lumped under an alphabetical order.

There appears to be no way to 'declutter' the start menu of the rubbish I don't require, (eg. Xbox Game Bar, Your phone, etc).

x16wda:
There appears to be no way to 'declutter' the start menu of the rubbish I don't require, (eg. Xbox Game Bar, Your phone, etc).
-4wd (February 20, 2020, 04:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
I could swear I just right clicked the tiles and deleted the ones like that. No, it was Unpin from Start.

wraith808:
Yes, you can customize the pinned tiles, but the actual menu, you can only remove sub-sections.  If I actually ever used the start menu, it would be a bit lackluster.  But I think that they're trying to get people to use search more, as when I do use the start menu, I just start typing the name of the item that I want, and it works.

MilesAhead:
Yes, you can customize the pinned tiles, but the actual menu, you can only remove sub-sections.  If I actually ever used the start menu, it would be a bit lackluster.  But I think that they're trying to get people to use search more, as when I do use the start menu, I just start typing the name of the item that I want, and it works.
-wraith808 (February 20, 2020, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Also sometimes when I am looking for a program shortcut in a crowded folder of them on my desktop I remember that typing the shortcut name will seek it out.  I suspect many Windows users do not realize they can do that even though there is no search box .   :Thmbsup:

4wd:
But I think that they're trying to get people to use search more, as when I do use the start menu, I just start typing the name of the item that I want, and it works.-wraith808 (February 20, 2020, 10:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's great ... when you know the name of the program you want, (I usually do but there are some I only use once in a blue moon).

If, for example, you install a program and you file it under a menu item that says 'Video' for video editors/codecs/etc (pre-8.0), it's a lot easier to just pick Video out of the menu list and see what you want out of a list of 10 or so, rather than everything installed on the computer.

I don't want every URL/read me/EULA/the name of every software manufacturer/the postman's dog/etc that program writers seem to think I want cluttering up the menu.

Generally I use a DOpus toolbar stuck on the Desktop, FARR, or Everything, rather than the thing they currently call a Start Menu.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version