ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (225/253) > >>

4wd:
"Prevents others from tampering with important security features."

By others they probably mean anyone who isn't Microsoft themselves and that switch is just there as a placebo effect.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Prepare yourselves for Windows 10 May-hem. Or is it June, no, July

Deozaan:
I don't think this is related to the 1809 update, but I suffered a BSOD yesterday and afterwards my computer would not boot and all my attempts to "repair" the issue would not resolve it. So I made a backup of the important files, wiped my OS drive and reinstalled Windows 10 from the only installation media I had.
-Deozaan (December 13, 2018, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I feel like I just had a repeat.

No BSOD this time. But I just got done reinstalling Windows 10 on a different machine that, after a regular cumulative update (i.e., not a major upgrade), no longer had a working bootloader. And the Windows installation media couldn't repair the boot problem, once again.

The weird thing is that the machine booted up into a minimal grub-like Linux shell, and the BIOS listed that boot option as "ubuntu." But the closest Ubuntu or any of its derivatives have come to that machine was in a VM, so I have no idea how it kept happening. Maybe it was a feature of the UEFI/BIOS system, where if it didn't detect a bootloader it just adds its own minimal grub loader. :tellme:

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Microsoft will ship a full Linux kernel in Windows 10

Windows 10 Announced

Microsoft unveils Windows Terminal, a new command line app for Windows

Shades:
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Microsoft unveils Windows Terminal, a new command line app for Windows
-Arizona Hot (May 07, 2019, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

For now it is just the source code, not the executable. For those already wanting this type of functionality (and then some): ExtraTerm (open source, works on Windows, Linux and Mac, supports cmd, PowerShell, WSL, tabs and 'terminal multiplexing').

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version