ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (188/253) > >>

Ath:
Microsoft is also starting to roll out delta updates, which should make updating in the future easier as well. Resulting in smaller downloads/patches if you've kept up to date. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (March 16, 2017, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
But only after you've updated to the Creators edition, due in April... (afaik)

Deozaan:
Microsoft is also starting to roll out delta updates, which should make updating in the future easier as well. Resulting in smaller downloads/patches if you've kept up to date. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (March 16, 2017, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
But only after you've updated to the Creators edition, due in April... (afaik)
-Ath (March 17, 2017, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, kind of. Here's my understanding of it:

This week they started rolling out an early part of delta updates. So if you are completely up to date as of today then you should start benefiting from delta updates for the smaller updates (the cumulative updates that change the OS Build number, I think). Starting with the Creators Update, due next month as you said, the delta updates will be introduced to the "big" updates (the ones where the version number changes) as well, and Microsoft will be incorporating the delta update model into more and more of the Windows Update process as time goes on. But this means the Creators Update itself doesn't benefit from delta updates, and the full thing will need to be downloaded to install it.

Source:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-quietly-delivers-two-windows-update-surprises/

wraith808:
I must say, I really hate this update process.  Continually, I have to hard reboot my daughter's machine because she's on a wireless adapter on her desktop (though her laptop doesn't have the same problem- go figure).  It will just be on a screen with the chasing dots, and stay there.  One time, I tried to just let it go because she was out of town- after days, it was still there.  But I hard reboot it (sometimes once, sometimes twice after it goes through it again), and then it says restoring old installation.  But eventually the version number does change.  Very annoying, as is the fact that it will just shut down your active applications in order to finish the update.  I've updated three of the machines here to never restart (which has it's own problems, as the memory profile does strange things if you have a pending update for restart- haven't been able to adequately explain it, other than if I have a pending update, some apps can't get any more memory, and if I restart and let it do it's thing, it's fine), so I might end up updating all of them to block the restart.

Deozaan:
I must say, I really hate this update process.  Continually, I have to hard reboot my daughter's machine because she's on a wireless adapter on her desktop (though her laptop doesn't have the same problem- go figure).  It will just be on a screen with the chasing dots, and stay there.  One time, I tried to just let it go because she was out of town- after days, it was still there.  But I hard reboot it (sometimes once, sometimes twice after it goes through it again), and then it says restoring old installation.
-wraith808 (March 17, 2017, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've found on a laptop I have that it will occasionally get stuck on the spinning dots screen after an update. A solution that almost always clears things up for me is to shut down, remove all USB devices from the machine (the only one I have in this machine is a wireless mouse dongle), and boot it up. The machine boots up relatively quickly and then I can plug in the USB devices again, and all is well until the next update breaks it. :)

But I spend most of my time in Linux on that machine, so it tends to go a while between Windows Updates.

MilesAhead:
I've found on a laptop I have that it will occasionally get stuck on the spinning dots screen after an update. A solution that almost always clears things up for me is to shut down, remove all USB devices from the machine (the only one I have in this machine is a wireless mouse dongle), and boot it up. The machine boots up relatively quickly and then I can plug in the USB devices again, and all is well until the next update breaks it.
-Deozaan (March 17, 2017, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't it wonderful we have these time-saving devices called Windows PCs?  It will get to the point where you spend 6 hours a day on doing what MS pushes on you and 2 hours a day doing "your stuff."  To me the trend started with Vista pre-SP1 where the machine tried to hog the HD to index stuff, add stuff to WMP library(which I did not use as a player anyway) and just send you an email when it was OK to take a turn using your own machine.  The day of "pay per RPC" is not far off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version