ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (187/253) > >>

Arizona Hot:
I have found that Win 10 takes a long time to start up. If I connect my Sony Cybershot DSC-HX20V camera right after the icon bar stops changing, the computer freezes because programs are still loading or initializing. I will have to use Task Manager to know when everything is done and ready for something new. If I don't set the computer to sleep sometime, Windows is buggy after sitting with the screen turned off for a few hours. I will have to re-enter my Microsoft password again, but the alternative is worse.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

AMD busts Ryzen performance myths, clearing Windows 10 from blame

tomos:
Looking for advice for a Windows 10 laptop that hasn't been used for a couple of months --
should I:

(1) let it update itself (if so, any idea how long that might take, and how I can keep an eye on it)
or
(2) download updates and install manually? (dont even know if that possible)
-tomos (February 14, 2017, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Microsoft has been pushing cumulative updates every month or so. Which should solve the problem you'd see in Windows 7 or earlier where if you do a fresh install of the OS you then have to download and install years worth of updates separately.

That said, they have also been updating the ISO for Windows 10 somewhat regularly, so it's not that hard to get a recent version made as installation media. But again, this is just for a fresh install of the OS. I don't know if it's possible to download and install updates manually. I'd do as Ath says, and either let it update itself or manually go to Windows Update and click the "Check for updates" button to kickstart the process.
-Deozaan (February 14, 2017, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

well it got stroppy about it:
high cpu usage (first TiWorker.exe, then svchost); and unable to open system settings at all.
Tried logging off/on a couple of times, no joy, ended up rebooting twice -- on second reboot it came to it's senses and requested a reboot :D

Currently updating :up:

Deozaan:
Microsoft is also starting to roll out delta updates, which should make updating in the future easier as well. Resulting in smaller downloads/patches if you've kept up to date. :Thmbsup:

tomos:
Microsoft is also starting to roll out delta updates, which should make updating in the future easier as well. Resulting in smaller downloads/patches if you've kept up to date. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (March 16, 2017, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

will try to keep up-to-date from now:
that machine hadn't been updated for a few months, and took a couple of hours to download/apply the update

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version