ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (186/253) > >>

wraith808:
We should probably mark informational posts about Fast Ring/Insider builds as "beta" or "preview" releases so people who aren't part of the Fast Ring/Insider program don't worry they'll be affected by these issues. Otherwise it just seems a bit like fearmongering, IMO.

Related: I came across a site that somewhat nicely lists all the recent changes to Windows 10 builds, and even makes it clear who will be affected by the changes (Fast Ring, Release, Business, Xbox, Mobile, etc.)

https://changewindows.org/

With this you can see what actually changed, rather than the standard boilerplate of "This update improves functionality and security of Windows." or whatever it usually says. For example, here's what it says changed in 15019:
-Deozaan (January 30, 2017, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's awesome, and using that to link to any updates would be good.  But yes, not mentioning which 'ring' a potential problem affects makes the updates less than useful.

tomos:
Looking for advice for a Windows 10 laptop that hasn't been used for a couple of months --
should I:

(1) let it update itself (if so, any idea how long that might take, and how I can keep an eye on it)
or
(2) download updates and install manually? (dont even know if that possible)

TIA

Ath:
If you turn it on and leave it alone for a few hours, it will update itself. You can 'force' it (read: expedite it somewhat) to update by going to the relevant Settings page and pressing the Check Now button.

Deozaan:
Looking for advice for a Windows 10 laptop that hasn't been used for a couple of months --
should I:

(1) let it update itself (if so, any idea how long that might take, and how I can keep an eye on it)
or
(2) download updates and install manually? (dont even know if that possible)
-tomos (February 14, 2017, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Microsoft has been pushing cumulative updates every month or so. Which should solve the problem you'd see in Windows 7 or earlier where if you do a fresh install of the OS you then have to download and install years worth of updates separately.

That said, they have also been updating the ISO for Windows 10 somewhat regularly, so it's not that hard to get a recent version made as installation media. But again, this is just for a fresh install of the OS. I don't know if it's possible to download and install updates manually. I'd do as Ath says, and either let it update itself or manually go to Windows Update and click the "Check for updates" button to kickstart the process.

tomos:
^ thanks both :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version