ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (179/253) > >>

wraith808:
The "old" software that cannot handle the spaces in filenames is Windows cmd.exe.
-MilesAhead (October 18, 2016, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's incorrect.  Type cd "\program files\" at the prompt in the regular cmd.exe, and it works.  Or just type cd \progra~1 and it works, which is what I stated above.

Afa doing things deliberately goes, the fact that various Windows programming books were published under variations on the title "Undocumented Windows" is proof in itself.  The programmers on the buddy list got a cheat sheet of undocumented calls.  The other programmers got to trial and error it.

-MilesAhead (October 18, 2016, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

That doesn't prove anything other than programmers put in code that wasn't officially sanctioned.  Happens all the time.  I've done it to get back doors to what I need.  Some of them are still out there in commercial software that I've done.

In my opinion, you're calling malice when there are many other explanations (incompetence, missed testing, programmer shortcuts, etc).  But that would require that you take a more forgiving interpretation.

wraith808:
Editing a post is creating a new post?

MilesAhead:
That's incorrect.  Type cd "\program files\" at the prompt in the regular cmd.exe, and it works.  Or just type cd \progra~1 and it works, which is what I stated above.
-wraith808 (October 18, 2016, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

If it could handle the spaces you would not need the quotes.  As I said, the space should be either a valid path character or a separator character, but not both.  Why don't we just require double quoting any file path that contains an 'e' ??  It's just as valid to do that as to quote around the spaces.

MilesAhead:
In my opinion, you're calling malice when there are many other explanations (incompetence, missed testing, programmer shortcuts, etc).  But that would require that you take a more forgiving interpretation.
--- End quote ---

And why do we want to be forgiving of Microsoft?  You don't see how this whole update thing was a wedge to force feed the user whatever they want in the name of "security" updates?  Just look how they ram Win 10 home while spying the whole time.  If I released a product that surfed the web while creating "index.dat" files, as they did in the old IE, tracking every place my program's users surfed, I would likely be in jail.  But they are big business so they are not incarcerated.  They are mega rich.

I think I will end this here.  You are entitled to your perspective.  But so am I to mine.  :)
It is just getting old.  Besides I can no why keep my promise not to nag on MS if I keep responding.  :)

The moratorium is now in effect.  I should set a timer counting down for 6 months but it would likely not work that well on a Laptop.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

If it could handle the spaces you would not need the quotes.  As I said, the space should be either a valid path character or a separator character, but not both.  Why don't we just require double quoting any file path that contains an 'e' ??  It's just as valid to do that as to quote around the spaces.

-MilesAhead (October 18, 2016, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sure they could have done a lot of things.  But they didn't.  But that doesn't mean malice.  And you ignored the second part of that.  If you don't want to quote, and don't want to use spaces... guess, what.  You don't have to.  And the translation is built in.

And why do we want to be forgiving of Microsoft?
-MilesAhead (October 18, 2016, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps because I contracted for them, and know that in a lot of cases that people say that they are evil, they're just misguided or made the wrong decision.  Or one of many other reasons that are not a huge conspiracy.  They're a company like any other.  Except for working for them sucks more than a lot of other places, which is the reason that I'm glad I was just a contractor.

As you said, you're entitled to your opinion, and nothing I (or anyone else) will say will convince you otherwise.  But you'll have to hold yourself to your moratorium, because if you respond, I will likely do so also.  Onward!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version