ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (173/253) > >>

4wd:
I didn't realize that you could no longer easily go back to a previous version of Windows during the first 31 days (From Point 4 of the article). This will make me think twice before upgrading to Windows 10. Fortunately I keep my OS and Data on separate partitions, so the "Nuclear Option" of returning to Windows 7 is easier.-exjoburger (September 26, 2016, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just to clarify, I believe that's refering to the fact that you are now, (as of this date), more than 31 days past the end of the free upgrade period.  Therefore, if you took them up on the free upgrade at this point you can no longer revert to a previous version because that option no longer exists.

However, if you upgrade now you will have 31 days from now to determine if you want to stay with Windows 10, if you don't then you can revert to the previous OS.  But again, once the 31 days expires that option is removed.

I could be wrong, the info in that point is a bit ambiguous.

Just do a drive image backup before embarking upon the upgrade, then you can always replace Windows 10 with your current OS no matter if the 31 days has expired or not.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Is Microsoft harder or softer now because of this?

wraith808:
So, today I had my first real reservations about my choice to upgrade.  Microsoft doesn't really think things through.

They have that anniversary update.  So I tried to set my working hours, and it wouldn't let me give it a window of more than 12 hours, even though I have need of my computer for longer than that.  I got pissed, and figured I'd figure it out when I got back.  And found that it had updated.  They apparently removed the setting where you can set it to not do updates or anything unless you ask.  Then, when it started, it had removed/blocked my displayfusion.  And put up some BS FUD about it might damage my computer.  Do they not even realize that people want control of their computer and how they use it?  Or do they just not care.  I was OK with the auto update stuff when they let me put the control of them asking me when I wanted to do it.  But this isn't cool.

4wd:
... and it wouldn't let me give it a window of more than 12 hours, ...-wraith808 (October 02, 2016, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, annoyed me too but it did say that it will check to see if the computer is being used if outside that 12 hour window.

Then, when it started, it had removed/blocked my displayfusion.  And put up some BS FUD about it might damage my computer.
--- End quote ---

I didn't get that, DF continued to work without a problem, ClassicShell upgraded itself to cope with the new updates.

4wd:
However, if you upgrade now you will have 31 days from now to determine if you want to stay with Windows 10, if you don't then you can revert to the previous OS.  But again, once the 31 days expires that option is removed.-4wd (September 26, 2016, 09:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

A bit more info:
You'll be able to go back to an earlier version by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery . The time you have to go back depends on what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after the upgrade. For example, if your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1511, you have a month to go back to your previous operating system. If your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1607, you have 10 days to go back. (To see what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after you upgrade, select the Start button, then select Settings > System  > About .
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version