ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (171/253) > >>

Curt:
For me, Windows 10 has by far been the operating system that has been the easiest to have. The easiest to install and the easiest to use - the easiest to "live with". I also think it has been easier for both my laptop and for my PC to run Windows 10, rather than Windows 7 (I have never tried Win 8.).

I recommend getblackbird-Curt (June 15, 2016, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can now say that Win 10 by far also has been the easiest to repair! Something went wrong a couple of weeks ago when an update failed big time. I then downloaded the Media Creation Tool from microsoft and took a deep breath and clicked Run. One hour later everything was just fine.

One program had been removed by the installer, and two others needed to reinstall before working properly. But considering that the reinstallation and updating of Windows 10 was so wonderfully easy and that I still have every file and document, I am simply impressed!

Unfortunately, all the MS culprits are back:

Blackbird does not currently support Redstone builds.-blackbird 0.9.95 32
--- End quote ---

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Microsoft rolls out update to remove 'Get Windows 10' app

Anyone here still using Win 7?

Ath:
-Arizona Hot (September 21, 2016, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, on my work-pc I don't have enough free diskspace to do the upgrade :huh: Think I'll wait until my next system-replacement, next year.
W7 'just works' so as long as it works... And yes, I'm mainly developing software and related tasks on that system 8)

xtabber:
-Arizona Hot (September 21, 2016, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had to replace my primary work PC (i7, 32GB RAM) last month because of an intermittent fault on the motherboard. A major consideration in my choice of a replacement was that I could get a system with similar specs on up-to-date hardware with Windows 7 Pro pre-installed instead of Windows 10.

I simply don’t have the time now to spend working around Microsoft’s debugging process for Win 10. When Microsoft gets their act together and things stabilize, I will consider upgrading the OS, but not before.

Many, if not most, large enterprises seem to be taking the same route, which is why the PC makers who sell to them (Lenovo, Dell, HP) all provide the option to get Windows 7 Pro pre-iinstalled on most new business computers through “downgrade rights “ on a Windows 10 Pro license.

dr_andus:
I simply don’t have the time now to spend working around Microsoft’s debugging process for Win 10. When Microsoft gets their act together and things stabilize, I will consider upgrading the OS, but not before.
-xtabber (September 22, 2016, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup. Well put. Same here.

According to this article,

Microsoft has been criticised over its Windows 10 software by consumer rights group Which?.

The body said it had received hundreds of complaints about the upgrade, including lost files, emails no longer syncing and broken wi-fi and printing.

In some cases, it said, users had had to pay for their computer to be repaired. (...)

Which? surveyed more than 5,500 of its members in June, and said that 12% of the 2,500 who had upgraded to Windows 10 had later reverted to an earlier version.
--- End quote ---

It could be that there is something wrong with members of Which?, but still, this was supposed to bring Windows closer to consumers, not to piss them off...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version