ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (165/253) > >>

4wd:
@4wd: Trouble is, I kept no record of what I might have turned OFF!-IainB (July 26, 2016, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I ran Shutup10, saved the current configuration, reset to default, updated Windows, ran Shutup10, then reloaded the configuration I saved.

Only other thing I'd done was to tweak the Update settings in Group Policy editor.

Unless you've done a lot of manual registry editing, policy editing, etc, that should cover almost all of it since most of the Win10 anti-telemetry tools do similar things, except the ones that actually remove files.

IainB:
@4wd: Thanks, Looks like a good suggestion. I shall download and try via https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
I could be wrong, of course, but, as far as I recall, I haven't made any manual registry edits and/or policy edits that should/would affect telemetry settings.
I'll report back on the outcome anyway. I dread the thought of triggering another 30-minute failed update. ...

IainB:
Sadlement, it was another WWW (World-Wide Wait) - another failed update.    :(

wraith808:
So, I decided to see how the upgrade process would go for windows 10.  I was thinking about doing all 3 that I have that have windows 7.  At this point, I'm not sure.

I tackled my most thorny problem first.  I cycle through computers, so I have my main computer, and then the older one that I had before that.  That one (because I wasn't sure about 64-bit for windows at the time for gaming) is a 32-bit license I got from Microsoft at a developer conference.  I knew I'd do a clean install on that one, because I wanted 64-bit.  Everything went fine- until the registration of the key.  I have an extra Windows 7 Home Premium that I've not used- I bought it for Parallels on my Mac, but as I got rid of that, I never used it.  I entered the key... and lo and behold, it wouldn't work.  I looked around, and thought that I was going to have to install Win 7 and then upgrade.  Bleh.  I also saw hints that there was a way around that currently.  So I called upgrade support, and they were supposed to call me back in 30 mins.  It took longer, but that's to be expected.  But that's when it really went downhill.

I got this singularly non-helpful rep- Vijay.  He said- nothing for it, you have to buy a Windows 10 key.  I said, what?  I was just calling to see if there was a way around installing windows 7.  Some kind of activation he could do for me, as that's what a lot of the sources mentioned.  He said do you know the difference between an upgrade and a clean install.  I said, sure, taken aback a bit.  He said then, Why do you call and ask me these questions, then?  Why do you waste my time?  I paused a second, then asked to speak to a manager.  He said, I don't have a manager.  There aren't any managers.  I asked him for his rep id, knowing that they have them.  He said, there's no such thing.  I then said, you do realize that (a) this call is being recorded, (b) you're being very rude, and (c) even if you don't give me your number, I can call back, and have this incident traced, especially since it's recorded what number was called since this was a callback.

There was silence on the other end.

I said, can we agree that your tone was less than helpful?  He said that may be the case, but there is nothing to be done.  I said, why did you lie to me?  And tell me that I had to purchase a windows 10 key, and there was no way around that?  He said today is the last day, and you'd have to download... I interrupted him and said, I know exactly when it ends.  And I'm wasting time on the phone with you.  I know what to do.  It's your choice now whether to apologize for your behavior, and we can call this done.  Or, I can escalate after I hang up.  He made an excuse... and I hung up.

So I'm reinstalling Windows 7.  My question while I cool down... is this worthy of pursuing? Or just a waste of my time to call Microsoft and try to get some resolution over his behavior?  I know this is just opinions- but I think it's good to get alternate opinions.  I hate to do anything that might make someone's job more sucky, or them to lose it.

Thoughts?

dr_andus:
It took me 2 hrs to sort out my problem with MS over the phone. So be prepared for that and make a judgement whether that's worth your time.

Considering that this is crunch time, it might be the luck of the draw as to what kind of support person you get at the other end. I was passed onto one that was a good one. The only problem was that the phone line quality was terrible, I could barely hear him, so he had to repeat everything three times, until he finally figured he needed to remote into my machine in order to communicate with me...

Good luck!

P.S. Oh, yeah, you could try the chat support I linked to, as a way to avoid the phone call.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version