ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (164/253) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

​How to run the native Ubuntu desktop on Windows 10

This presumes you already have Win 10 installed. How many here are going to install it before July 29 and when?

IainB:
It rather looks like my luck has run out with Windows 10-64 PRO.
So far the Windows Update log shows 5 occurrences of Failed to install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985) on these dates:

* 2016-07-14
* 2016-07-15
* 2016-07-15
* 2016-07-16
* 2016-07-18
This event is no small matter. Once the update has been downloaded, each event has exactly the same pattern:

* It takes about 10 minutes to shutdown and install the changes,
* It then takes about 10 minutes to back out the changes when it finds that the update has not been successful.
* It then takes about 10 minutes to restart the system and restore the old settings.
In a human, to keep trying to solve the same problem with the same unsuccessful solution is reckoned to be a sign of madness.
In computers, this sort of thing is sometimes referred to as "a bad loop" (a program error).
As I write this, a fresh attempt at the same update has been scheduled by the system for 0530hrs. The cumulative time spent in this failed update loop so far is 5 x 30mins = 2.5hrs.

There would have been more failed update attempts, but I have avoided the system being shut down - if it is shut down or restarted, then the failed update will be moronically attempted yet again, taking 30 minutes each tome to run its course.
I am unspeakably annoyed by this.

Nice one Microsoft.

I have posted a comment about this problem on the MS page for: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985), but am not holding my breath.

Arizona Hot:
I just upgraded my second computer to Win 10. I didn't want to wait until the last day to do it. I downloaded the setup program to a thumb drive get started, (but did need the internet after that(not sure)). Everything seems to be there and working and although it took several hours, the upgrade was boringly crisis-free. My screensaver now starts automatically again.

Windows 10 Announced

4wd:
Current "up-to-date" status:

Windows 10 Announced

Re-enable all the Spyware Telemetry and update:

Windows 10 Announced

Then disable all the Telemetry again.

It rather looks like my luck has run out with Windows 10-64 PRO.
So far the Windows Update log shows 5 occurrences of Failed to install Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985) on these dates:-IainB (July 19, 2016, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you have any of the "we want to know everything you do" crap turned off, it might pay to turn it all on again and try to update - after all, my system was "apparently" up-to-date until I turned it all on again, (and that was one of the updates it installed).

IainB:
@4wd: Trouble is, I kept no record of what I might have turned OFF!    :-[
The problem of this latest cumulative update simply not working seems to be very common. Huge long discussion threads, and not a fix in sight, and with MS "engineers" noticeably absent and only able to offer feeble/dud suggestions when they do materialise.
They evidently don't know what the general cause(s) is(are), otherwise they would issue a generic fix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version