ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (162/253) > >>

MilesAhead:
Hah!  Just got an email this morning from Microsoft:

[ Invalid Attachment ]
-4wd (June 22, 2016, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's nothing like having the latest and greatest!  I am still waiting for my "welcome email" from Slackware 2.0.  :)

Asudem:
This might have been answered somewhere in the thread, but I'm in a little predicament here...

Made the switch from 7 to 10 and it's just about the best upgrade I've ever done... however over the weekend I accidentally shorted a USB port and now I am getting many BSODs, random ones at that. I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 but have no idea how to get an installer without purchasing Windows 10 outright. I remember reading something about using my old Windows 7 key to get an installer?

I know the deadline for upgrading is coming up soon but I've already made the jump, I'm just not sure if I can obtain an installer after the deadline.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-tweaks-activation-rules-for-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Asudem: Until July 29 you can probably just re-install Win 10. I downloaded the installer myself. If you can't reinstall Win 10 the way you did before because of the shorted USB port, it's a hardware problem not a software problem. You have until July 29th to get that fixed and reinstall Win 10.

Windows 10 Announced

The Hustle is Real Leading up to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Asudem:
Asudem: Until July 29 you can probably just re-install Win 10. I downloaded the installer myself. If you can't reinstall Win 10 the way you did before because of the shorted USB port, it's a hardware problem not a software problem. You have until July 29th to get that fixed and reinstall Win 10.
-Arizona Hot (June 24, 2016, 11:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's my question. How do I download a Wndows installer on a currently operating Windows 10 machine?

Shades:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

The Microsoft page above contains the tool: 'mediacreationtool.exe' and instructions to create a DVD/Pendrive installer for a "fresh" copy of Windows.

You could have damaged more hardware than just the USB port though. This now faulty hardware in your computer could communicate wrong data sending the USB drivers from Windows to the fritz which in turn make the Windows filesystem unstable, resulting in those BSODs.

You could check if that is the case by rebooting your computer and disable USB in the BIOS/UEFI from your computer. If the BSODs dissappear, it is safe to conclude you busted all your onboard USB ports. If you depend on USB devices in your workflow, you could buy an expansion card with USB ports. Those are cheap enough and easy to come by.

Next time make sure there is a device in the connection between your actual port and the project you are working on. This device should break/terminate the connection the moment you make an electrical error. Saves you a lot of headache.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version