ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (155/253) > >>

Deozaan:
I posted about a similar issue in the Windows 10 Tips thread.-Deozaan (April 12, 2016, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh that's where that went ... Crap! I knew I'd seen it somewhere around here but couldn't fine it again.

Reeally annoying issue ain't it?

-Stoic Joker (April 13, 2016, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. I know someone who encountered that issue but nothing we tried would solve it. Even doing a system reset only "fixed" it for about 24 hours before it started up again. I just helped them reinstall Windows 7.

Stoic Joker:
I posted about a similar issue in the Windows 10 Tips thread.-Deozaan (April 12, 2016, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh that's where that went ... Crap! I knew I'd seen it somewhere around here but couldn't fine it again.

Reeally annoying issue ain't it?

-Stoic Joker (April 13, 2016, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. I know someone who encountered that issue but nothing we tried would solve it. Even doing a system reset only "fixed" it for about 24 hours before it started up again. I just helped them reinstall Windows 7.
-Deozaan (April 13, 2016, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

So on that vein, here's a really new wrinkle - The Windows Firewall...is killing the Start Menu.

Best I can tell - and I'm guessing - If you have the Windows Firewall disabled during the Windows 10 upgrade, it's behavior become erratic at best. Because even with the service stopped and disabled, it will continue to block ports on the machine in a rather chaotically random fashion.

So you're probably wondering WTF?

So were we for the past two days. We had upgraded a customers network to Windows 10 last Friday and everything seemed to go fine ... Until Monday morning. Then all hell broke loose as the machines all started to randomly clench for no obvious reason and refuse to communicate with anything. Which is a real bitch when you're trying to work on something remotely btw..

After a myriad of reboots we finally managed to hammer our way into one of the more finicky machines, and there was our little friend the ultra shy Start menu. Multiple laps through the popular four available repair steps were to absolutely no avail. So finally the guy that works with me - who was working on the machine - decides on a lark to enable and start the Windows Firewall service ... And up pops the freaking Start Menu.

Only guess I can make is that some of the "Live Tile" Metro apps displayed in the Start Menu are holding up the show because the Firewall is blocking their attempt to update before being displayed. And the correlation is going completely unnoticed because the firewall is - or at least is supposed to be - inactive.

Now ain't that some shit?

Stoic Joker:
^Bizarro Firewall kills Start Menu behavior has now been confirmed on four different machines at that location.

Deozaan:
^Bizarro Firewall kills Start Menu behavior has now been confirmed on four different machines at that location.
-Stoic Joker (April 19, 2016, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

You should report that in Windows Feedback so that it can be fixed!

MilesAhead:
-Stoic Joker (April 19, 2016, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

You should report that in Windows Feedback so that it can be fixed!
-Deozaan (April 19, 2016, 11:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fixed?  MS don't do no stinkin' fixing.  They just issue another OS with a higher number.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version