ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (135/253) > >>

MilesAhead:
It sounds to me like an argument for not setting up facial recognition in the first place, so you don't get into a situation where someone wants to grab you by the neck and hold your face to the camera (or chop your fingers off).
-dr_andus (December 01, 2015, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree.  Half way through my reply I became convinced by what you wrote.  I just wanted to add the bit about G. Gordon Liddy I ain't.  Hold my hand in the fire?  What are you crazy?  To paraphrase Fats Domino, "I'm talkin' yes siree, I'm talkin', as you can see.  You ain't got to water board on me!"

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Microsoft's new Windows 10 smartphone is no world beater

Arizona Hot:
Anything is easy to crack when you have the specimen in your custody.  People talk about SERE and torture resistance... but all macho-ness aside, everyone cracks.  It's just a matter of when, not if.
-wraith808 (December 01, 2015, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Any competent secret agent would have a dummy password that gave access to disinformation and sent a silent electronic warning in communication uses. A password would always be required in addition to their face. Any such person wouldn't last long if they couldn't convince the other person that it was the real password.

wraith808:
Anything is easy to crack when you have the specimen in your custody.  People talk about SERE and torture resistance... but all macho-ness aside, everyone cracks.  It's just a matter of when, not if.
-wraith808 (December 01, 2015, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Any competent secret agent would have a dummy password that gave access to disinformation and sent a silent electronic warning in communication uses. A password would always be required in addition to their face. Any such person wouldn't last long if they couldn't convince the other person that it was the real password.
-Arizona Hot (December 01, 2015, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you think they let you go after they get what they want?  You'd assume that there was a way out of this other than a lot of pain ending in a pine box (if you're lucky).  They get the information and then hold you alive until they verify it.  Then they kill you.  The best defense as an intelligence operative is not to get caught.  You might warn someone, but that someone isn't coming after you this side of a movie.

MilesAhead:
They get the information and then hold you alive until they verify it.
-wraith808 (December 01, 2015, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

If they have hold of you for the long term, I seem to remember reading that in the gulag the technique was to start with your autobiography.  Like your entire life from as young as you can remember.  Then as they go along, months later they quiz you on tiny details.  Tough to remember what bs you gave them 18 months ago when you can't remember what year it is.  If you get the details wrong it's physical discomfort of the extreme variety until you remember the right information.  You can't fool someone across 5 or 10 years of interrogation.  Not unless you are Bill Clinton at least.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version