ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (134/253) > >>

Stoic Joker:
But now that I think of it, I would rather tell someone the password rather than have them take my thumb or my face with them when they left. It is still losing face, but at least not literally.-MilesAhead (December 01, 2015, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Man's got a good point there...I'd listen to him.

Stoic Joker:
Is this more security or less security?-dr_andus (December 01, 2015, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's more different security. Biometrics are more difficult to crack (without a knife..), but gesture based access is insanely easy to shoulder surf for. And there is still a Good Ol' Fashion - type me - password for network access ... So it's really just a bunch more options to fiddle with.

If you're not supposed to use the same password for everything. Then how often should you switch fingers?

Should you use one finger for banking, and a different one for social media?

How many fingers can you try before the security agent gets sore and locks you out?

Will bad guys start automatically taking all ten fingers to ensure the got the right one?

Will ATMs begin offering adequate privacy for one to discreetly use the 21st filange??

Curt:
1+4=6

:tellme:

dr_andus:
But now that I think of it, I would rather tell someone the password rather than have them take my thumb or my face with them when they left. It is still losing face, but at least not literally.-MilesAhead (December 01, 2015, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Man's got a good point there...I'd listen to him.

-Stoic Joker (December 01, 2015, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

It sounds to me like an argument for not setting up facial recognition in the first place, so you don't get into a situation where someone wants to grab you by the neck and hold your face to the camera (or chop your fingers off).

BTW, some good questions there, Stoic Joker!

It's more different security. Biometrics are more difficult to crack
-Stoic Joker (December 01, 2015, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Imagine though if Snowden had biometrics set up on his laptop when he got to Russia. It would have taken huge self-control for the FSB not to grab him by the neck and push his face to the camera... Biometrics is the easiest thing to crack when you have the biological specimen in your custody...

P.S. Anyway, sorry, got a bit off topic there. My main point was that this article put too much of a positive spin on the biometric login, without considering some of the pitfalls.

wraith808:
Imagine though if Snowden had biometrics set up on his laptop when he got to Russia. It would have taken huge self-control for the FSB not to grab him by the neck and push his face to the camera... Biometrics is the easiest thing to crack when you have the biological specimen in your custody...
-dr_andus (December 01, 2015, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Anything is easy to crack when you have the specimen in your custody.  People talk about SERE and torture resistance... but all macho-ness aside, everyone cracks.  It's just a matter of when, not if.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version