ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (127/253) > >>

MilesAhead:
Haven't seen many laptops that can beat the macbook screens, but dunno why you'd buy an external monitor from Apple, really.
-f0dder (October 29, 2015, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I dunno unless the Apple just fell off the tree.  :)
It's hard to tell what it's hooked up to without crawling around.  There doesn't seem to be a PC under the table as there is on other setups but maybe they are mini-servers and it is wired in or they are just smart terminals.  It says Windows 7 Enterprise on the login screen is all I know.

Control-Alt-Del to log in.  No yelling at Cortana will get you on.  :)

dr_andus:
A consumer newspaper probably focuses on features of consumer interests? :-)

Not very interested in what's enterprise-interesting myself, so haven't looked at it - but it performs pretty well (MS seems have done progressively better with 7->8->10), and there's some additional lowlevel security panzering (mitigations, defense-in-depth). Those benefit consumers, and might be of interest at the corporate level.
-f0dder (October 29, 2015, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fair enough. Though by "business user" I didn't quite mean 'enterprise' or 'corporate' use. I was wondering what was MS's main proposition to convince someone to switch from Win7 to Win10 who uses it for work, rather than just play. The article itself was kind of suggesting that there wasn't one.

Shades:
In 2016 the "optional" Windows 10 download, becomes a "Recommended" one, according to this article (about the middle of the page).

Usually means that much more people will have the Windows 10 installation files on their computer.

f0dder:
Fair enough. Though by "business user" I didn't quite mean 'enterprise' or 'corporate' use. I was wondering what was MS's main proposition to convince someone to switch from Win7 to Win10 who uses it for work, rather than just play. The article itself was kind of suggesting that there wasn't one.-dr_andus (October 29, 2015, 07:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
I can't really recall the last time an OS upgrade had a killer feature - the thing that comes closest is probably Vista moving the graphics stack mostly back into usermode, improving stability over XP immensively. It's really been just gradual improvements (and a few warts).

I've personally found increased performance and additional security stuff good enough reasons to eventually update, when I needed a reinstall anyway.

xtabber:
For those who want to stop Microsoft from trying to "upgrade" them to Windows 10, GWX Control Panel Version 1.5 was released yesterday.

Among other things, this version will find and optionally remove both types (~BT and ~WS) of hidden Windows 10 installation folders created by Windows Update.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version