ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (112/253) > >>

Innuendo:
However, following a Win10 update today, MS Money is now working perfectly again.
Kudos to MS for fairly swift action on this. I don't know whether the error was a bug, or if it only affected MS Money, but the effect of fixing it seems to indicate that MS is listening and just might be aware of the need to support this and other legacy applications in Win10.-IainB (August 13, 2015, 09:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Color me impressed. Most companies would have pointed you to the "Dude, we discontinued that years ago & have no obligation to get it working again for you." knowledgebase article.

IainB:
^^ Yes, that's what I reckoned, too.   :up:

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Windows 10 gets third 'cumulative update' since launch; now running on 50 million devices

Microsoft can now remotely disable pirated games, if you're running them on Windows 10

At least. it can't delete the pirate. I don't think anyone would really want that, especially you!

Microsoft claims Windows 10 EULA that supposedly removes pirated games is about 'security'  GamesBeat  Games  by Jeff Grubb

Deozaan:
Microsoft can now remotely disable pirated games, if you're running them on Windows 10

At least. it can't delete the pirate. I don't think anyone would really want that, especially you!

Microsoft claims Windows 10 EULA that supposedly removes pirated games is about 'security'  GamesBeat  Games  by Jeff Grubb-Arizona Hot (August 18, 2015, 05:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. Let's see what it says:

Sometimes you’ll need software updates to keep using the Services. We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services. Such updates are subject to these Terms unless other terms accompany the updates, in which case, those other terms apply. Microsoft isn’t obligated to make any updates available and we don’t guarantee that we will support the version of the system for which you licensed the software.-http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/microsoft-can-now-remotely-disable-pirated-games-if-youre-running-them-on-windows-10-277956.html
--- End quote ---

Really strange language there. What is meant by "the Services"? What is meant by "unauthorized hardware peripheral devices"? These phrases make it sound more like it's talking about Xbox Live and the Xbox console(s) than Windows 10 devices (desktops, laptops, tablets). But Microsoft is going for the whole unified thing, and I can see how in cases such as the Windows Store they might check for and disable pirated copies of apps/games, as I suspect at least Apple if not also Google do on iOS and Android respectively.

Microsoft's attempt at clarification:

"The Microsoft Services Agreement allows Microsoft to change or discontinue certain apps or content where we deem your security is at risk," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement provided to GamesBeat. "This section of the Microsoft Services Agreement is consistent with language in former Terms of Use agreements, which carried over with the introduction of the unified services agreement on August 1. Software that is pirated or botted places the safety and security of our customers at risk, including a higher risk of malware, fraud, public exposure of personal information, and poor performance or feature malfunction. We remain committed to protecting our customers from the risks of non-genuine software and protecting the intellectual property of developers of all types of content."-http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/21/microsoft-claims-windows-10-eula-that-supposedly-removes-pirated-games-is-about-security/
--- End quote ---

Innuendo:
Really strange language there. What is meant by "the Services"? What is meant by "unauthorized hardware peripheral devices"? These phrases make it sound more like it's talking about Xbox Live and the Xbox console(s) than Windows 10 devices (desktops, laptops, tablets). But Microsoft is going for the whole unified thing, and I can see how in cases such as the Windows Store they might check for and disable pirated copies of apps/games, as I suspect at least Apple if not also Google do on iOS and Android respectively.-Deozaan (August 23, 2015, 12:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looking past the fancy footwork of their marketing & legal teams, I'm picturing Microsoft wants Windows 10 running on your tablet, your phone, and PC if possible with all those inter-connected with your Xbox and each other. I also picture all those devices doing reconnaissance to every other device they are connected to or interact with....ready to 'squeal' to The Man if anything untoward or suspicious is found regarding Microsoft licensed software (and MS's software partners) and then the appropriately sized hammer will drop accordingly.

Now, all the squealing, The Man, and the hammers are figments of my imagination...so far. We will have to wait to see how it all plays out. I do expect a spike in the sales of third-party Windows firewall solutions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version