ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (108/253) > >>

Arizona Hot:
(see attachment in previous post)
Dclock2 runs in Win 10. My Win 7 has to use Dclock 1. Maybe that is because it is a 32-bit Win 10. The Win 7 system is 64-bit.

-Arizona Hot (August 04, 2015, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for letting me know.

But I find it odd that you can't run Dclock2 on 64-bit Win7, since I have been running it on my 64-bit Win7 without any issues. I am not saying there is no issue on your system, just that it can't be due to it being 64-bit. Trust me on this, if there was an issue running it on 64-bit, I'd be the first to complain about it, till I fixed it.  ;)

I do have plans on rewriting it from scratch early next year (got some interesting stuff planned for it), so perhaps the new version will work better for you. Can you hang in there till then?
-app103 (August 05, 2015, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

It will run, but it looks like the clock on the left below. Any way I can find out what the issue is on my system so that you can know about the issue when you do the rewrite. The second screenshot is with the size changed from 18 to 14. Then it doesn't have that problem but it's harder to read. I have a HP LV 2001 monitor with the resolution set at 1600 x 900 (recommended) and the text size set at Medium - 125%. The Win 10's monitor is a non-widescreen Dell set at 1024 x768 resolution and the text size is 100%.

Innuendo:
Option is available regardless. Settings-->Windows Update-->Advanced Options-->Get Started Button asks for (MS account) Insider login-Stoic Joker (August 04, 2015, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Odd...on my system logged in with a local account the "Get Started" button is greyed out.

Stoic Joker:
Option is available regardless. Settings-->Windows Update-->Advanced Options-->Get Started Button asks for (MS account) Insider login-Stoic Joker (August 04, 2015, 08:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Odd...on my system logged in with a local account the "Get Started" button is greyed out.
-Innuendo (August 06, 2015, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Even stranger yet (while home machine worked fine), the GS button on my comp here at the office is greyed out...yet both were upgrades with the same x64 MSDN.iso Now the other guy here in IT has an active GS button...he too upgraded with the same x64 MSDN.iso - All machines mentioned are Pro Ed. domain members.

JavaJones:
I cannot believe what I just read about the Win 10 start menu and "all apps" view (plus search!):
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/review-windows-10-is-the-best-version-yet-once-the-bugs-get-fixed/
In Windows 10, it's... different. Windows creates a per-user database containing all the entries that are in Start, both the live tile portion and the All apps portion. This database is (inexplicably) maintained by a system service running as the super-privileged SYSTEM identity. And at the time of writing, this database has the oh-so convenient feature of being limited to around 500 entries.
--- End quote ---

Holy shit, it shipped like that!?!?!? What. The. Actual. Fuck!?

I can only describe that as asinine, *especially* since massive crapware bundling is still rampant on new PCs you buy. It is entirely plausible that one might buy a computer preconfigured with so many applications that they would never see their own applications after they began installing them! Even without 3rd party stuff many computers come with 10-15 branded "utilities", e.g. "Toshiba Ecorecover", "Lenovo Cloud Aware", each of which may have 5-10 Start menu entries of their own (e.g. license, systray util start, app start, help/docs, etc.). A 500 item limit is nuts.

- Oshyan

Curt:
Also, I am anxious to see how Cortana, the Personal Digital Assistant, will work. If it works like I fear, I will also like to know if it can be killed and buried. I am scared of Cortana!-Curt (June 03, 2015, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Turns out I didn't need to! "Cortana is not available in the area and language you have chosen."

Shouldn't I then have been offered a rebate?  :-\

-----

Stardock has launched Start10 for Windows 10. The $4.99 program is in beta, but the final version 1 is due the 12'th of August.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/
Features: https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/download.asp

Start10, 30-Day Trial

* Adds a Windows 7-styled Start menu with Windows 10 enhancements
* Pin desktop and Modern apps to the Start menu
* Jump list support
* Unified search for apps, settings and files
* Automatically matches the color of your taskbar
* Skinnable Start button
* Choose the default behavior of the Start menu power button
--- End quote ---

Navigation