ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (107/253) > >>

MilesAhead:
I've had Windows 10 for almost a week. In that time I 've gotten 3 Windows Updates, not including Windows Defender Definition Updates.  Is this the slow ring and is Windows Insider the fast ring?
-Arizona Hot (August 04, 2015, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know.  But from the posts I see things are going to be all over the lot for awhile.  I don't even like to enable auto update on Firefox never mind the entire OS.  But I guess I am your basic curmudgeon hobbyist neanderthal whose ossified bones will be featured in online displays when everyone has WiFi brain implants.  Under my(still handsome) photo the caption will read "Insisted on an installed OS from an ISO image."  All the four year old children point and laugh.

Innuendo:
I've had Windows 10 for almost a week. In that time I 've gotten 3 Windows Updates, not including Windows Defender Definition Updates.  Is this the slow ring and is Windows Insider the fast ring?-Arizona Hot (August 04, 2015, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless you log in with a Microsoft account, I believe you are on the slow ring. Once you log into Windows with your Microsoft account you can go to Windows Update settings and select if you want to be on the slow or fast ring.

Stoic Joker:
I've had Windows 10 for almost a week. In that time I 've gotten 3 Windows Updates, not including Windows Defender Definition Updates.  Is this the slow ring and is Windows Insider the fast ring?-Arizona Hot (August 04, 2015, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless you log in with a Microsoft account, I believe you are on the slow ring. Once you log into Windows with your Microsoft account you can go to Windows Update settings and select if you want to be on the slow or fast ring.-Innuendo (August 04, 2015, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Option is available regardless. Settings-->Windows Update-->Advanced Options-->Get Started Button asks for (MS account) Insider login

IainB:
I have now upgraded two laptops to Win10. The first had Win8.1-64 PRO installed, the second had Win8.1-64.
The first wouldn't update and was problematic with the update attempts not completing successfully (with varying error codes depending what I had done to change things to get it working), until:

* (a) Running sfc /scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, then reboot just in case.
* (b) Emptying the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download to a Bak folder, and executing wuauclt.exe /updatenow (this was recommended on several discussion forums).
The second didn't work at first go, but went smoothly after my immediately emptying the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download to a Bak folder, and executing wuauclt.exe /updatenow.

Fixes:

* Keyboard arrangement: On both laptops, the Win10 update reset the keyboard registry settings to the default, so I ran Remapkey to change the CAPSLOCK key back to Right-Shift and the Right-Ctrl key back to Delete (those are my preferred settings):
As a possible solution to ALL CAPS accidents...
Tip - dispatching the CapsLock gremlin with Microsoft's remapkey.exe http://tips4laptopusers.blogspot.com/2008/08/dispatching-capslock-gremlin-with.html
It refers to the Microsoft remapkey.exe utility.
-IainB (August 24, 2008, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Other keyboard mapping fixes are useful, but redundant if you use remapkey.exe, which works fine in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, and Win7-64 Home Premium.
-IainB (March 10, 2012, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

* Start Menu: Classic Start Menu had already been installed on both laptops under Win8, and it automatically started up in Win10. Hooray for some good ergonomics!   :Thmbsup:

PowerShell: Playing about with Windows PowerShell (Admin) - using Win+X hotkey - was interesting. There seem to have been some useful mods there, but it still looked a bit like playing around the edges somewhat - refer Console Improvements in the Windows 10 Technical Preview

Legacy Apps.: The integration of Win10 with, and support for, existing and legacy applications seems fine. Impressively, whereas one of the many Win8 updates had caused the display refresh to stall annoyingly in my old InfoSelect proggie, the problem has gone away in Win10 and it now works just fine. The Options panels on ScreenshotCaptor and CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell) - which had been a bit difficult to see, even with my specs on - now seem a tad clearer. Not sure whether I am imagining the latter though.

GodMode: I found out about it here: How To Enable Windows 10 GodMode... - SSuite Office Software

So far I'd give Win10 at least   :up:  :up:  :up: out of 5.

app103:
(see attachment in previous post)
Dclock2 runs in Win 10. My Win 7 has to use Dclock 1. Maybe that is because it is a 32-bit Win 10. The Win 7 system is 64-bit.

-Arizona Hot (August 04, 2015, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for letting me know.

But I find it odd that you can't run Dclock2 on 64-bit Win7, since I have been running it on my 64-bit Win7 without any issues. I am not saying there is no issue on your system, just that it can't be due to it being 64-bit. Trust me on this, if there was an issue running it on 64-bit, I'd be the first to complain about it, till I fixed it.  ;)

I do have plans on rewriting it from scratch early next year (got some interesting stuff planned for it), so perhaps the new version will work better for you. Can you hang in there till then?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version