ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (94/253) > >>

tomos:
The first serious problem was that Windows wouldn't accept my bi-language Win 7 installation, so to speak. First it was English, then I installed a Danish version on top. It used to work fine, but Win 10 said that now I had chosen (rubbish; I was never given any choice!) to install a Danish Win 10 version and I would therefore loose all my third party programs. ALL of them!!!
-Curt (July 29, 2015, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

that does not sound good :(
FWIW it was very easy to change in Windows 8...

Deozaan:
I tried again using the Media Creator tool and got the same result. It failed at about 87% or so into the installation process and restored Windows 7. But this time when it booted into Windows 7, it gave me an error message and some clues as to what the problem(s) may be.

0x8007002C-0x4000D

"installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation"

I found the same error code on this help page, but I'm wondering if the issue is related to my... er... unique! customizations I made to the OS.

In my efforts to separate user data from the OS drive, and since Windows 7 won't really allow you to move your User directory to another drive, I did the Next Best ThingTM and moved as much as I could to another drive and then used SymLinks/Junctions to make the OS think the files/folders were where they belong.

I guess I'll try a fresh Windows 7 install and see if that will upgrade to Windows 10 (after downloading SP1 and other required updates).

I just reinstalled Windows 7 in May and have been unhappy with a few of the choices I made in the process, so I've been considering a fresh install anyway. I'll keep you posted.

Right now I envy Deozaan ("restoring to your previous version of Windows")!-Curt (July 29, 2015, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sorry things are not going well for you, Curt! While it's not working for me, at least there hasn't been any data loss! :(

Curt:
... since Windows 7 won't really allow you to move your User directory to another drive, I did the Next Best ThingTM and moved as much as I could to another drive and then used SymLinks/Junctions...-Deozaan (July 29, 2015, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I must say, Deozaan, I was surprised you got all the way to 85%, hehe! The very idea of this silent_background upgrade is to let the user keep his User Directory - which you didn't have. Why not redo the User_Directory in the Windows way and get a free upgrade? Well, you have plenty with time.

One unthinkable event I was not prepared for was the fact that Windows did not save my Internet shortcuts (Bookmarks)!  :o

Thanks to both tomos and Deozaan for showing empathy. I must tell that I am pleased with the speed this Win 10 WITH NO PROGRAMS INSTALLED is demonstrating: Wow, it is fast! ;-)

--------
Modified:
Oh, yes, just like last time I upgraded a Windows system, I must now figure out how to become chief of my own computer! It really is a weird feeling being unable to find AppData. I am not even told I am not allowed, no, Windows just puts the monocular to the blind eye; "What AppData? There is no AppData to look for!". Hmm...
 :tellme:

Stoic Joker:
By the way, Windows 10 seems to come with P2P updates built in. I'm not sure if the default is to have you serve downloads for other users over the internet or if I changed the setting to over the network sometime when I didn't realize what it means, but...
-Deozaan (July 29, 2015, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

On my fresh upgrade, the final option ("PCs on my local network and PCs on the Internet") was selected.
-ayryq (July 29, 2015, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds like bad news for people who have data caps set by their ISPs. :down:
-Deozaan (July 29, 2015, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe that is mitigated by the Don't do X over a metered connection setting. I forget the exact name, and everything is at the office now. My laptop's upgrade was a complete catastrophe. I was trying to image to a new drive to sidestep a space issue and the operation just kept freezing ... So that one - which has all the engine tuning software for my bike - will be a brick level rebuild on the far side (shit..).

Curt:
another (third) thing I didn't imagine is that Windows 10 has not reminded me in any way that I have no security program installed. Does Microsoft have a new chief programmer who doesn't drive SAAB?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version