ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (93/253) > >>

ayryq:
By the way, Windows 10 seems to come with P2P updates built in. I'm not sure if the default is to have you serve downloads for other users over the internet or if I changed the setting to over the network sometime when I didn't realize what it means, but...
-Deozaan (July 29, 2015, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

On my fresh upgrade, the final option ("PCs on my local network and PCs on the Internet") was selected.

Deozaan:
By the way, Windows 10 seems to come with P2P updates built in. I'm not sure if the default is to have you serve downloads for other users over the internet or if I changed the setting to over the network sometime when I didn't realize what it means, but...
-Deozaan (July 29, 2015, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

On my fresh upgrade, the final option ("PCs on my local network and PCs on the Internet") was selected.
-ayryq (July 29, 2015, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds like bad news for people who have data caps set by their ISPs. :down:

Stoic Joker:
First domain member upgraded can't connect to anything on the domain after upgrade.

Curt:
I hope to be back (here at DC) in a couple of months or so...

:-\

My first half an hour with Windows 10 has been saddening. Everything is worse than I feared. Maybe it would have been easier to accept if I first had been using Win 8. But I come from Win 7. Right now I envy Deozaan ("restoring to your previous version of Windows")!

The first serious problem was that Windows wouldn't accept my bi-language Win 7 installation, so to speak. First it was English, then I installed a Danish version on top. It used to work fine, but Win 10 said that now I had chosen (rubbish; I was never given any choice!) to install a Danish Win 10 version and I would therefore loose all my third party programs. ALL of them!!!

I cried a little, but hey, a fresh clean installation instead? so I dried my tears and accepted.

The settings were a chok (why does this browser not have a spell checker?!) to me. I knew from what I have heard about Win 8 that drastic changes were introduced. Changes that made (some) people used to the idea that Microsoft or whoever has the right to know everything about you; you must log in, you must give us access to all informations about your life and your friends and your bank account, and your... etcetera. Now this is even more in your face. With Win 10 there are incredible many boxes where I recommend to click the opposite of what is the default.

Forgive me for sounding as if the future is hopeless. Of course it is. Meanwhile I have a huge job waiting: Finding, downloading, installing and registering half a hundred programs.

ayryq:
With Win 10 there are incredible many boxes where I recommend to click the opposite of what is the default.

-Curt (July 29, 2015, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely agree with this. By default you're sending everything you type or write, every web page you visit, all your contacts, and your location to Microsoft. Probably some other things I'm forgetting too. And a few things to advertisers to "customize your experience" or some such.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version