ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (73/253) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

'Minecraft' for Windows 10 unveiled

Anyone interested in the Win 10 Minecraft or will you be too tired after upgrading the OS?

TaoPhoenix:
I've always been a Day One (or before) adopter of Microsoft OSes and historically speaking, their RTM releases are rock solid out of the box.

-Innuendo (July 04, 2015, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps the difference on Vista is due to the fact I bought HP "Media Center" towers.  The HD was totally hogged by Windows Media Player running mobsync.exe to test if every file in the system was a media file.  Also if you installed from retail media I am sure you were better off than buying a machine preloaded.  Between Norton AV and mobsync trying to take over the machine it was totally useless out of the box.  Later I got another tower running Vista x64 SP1 and it was fine.

Just for grins I compared the state of the system services of the SP1 machine to the system without a service pack after I was done tweaking.  All the settings were exactly the same except 2.  They fixed the usability quotiont quite a bit with the SP.
-MilesAhead (July 04, 2015, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Could ProcessTamer have worked there?
Then you can have some cpu cycles left to fix it with?

MilesAhead:
Could ProcessTamer have worked there?
Then you can have some cpu cycles left to fix it with?
-TaoPhoenix (July 04, 2015, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

It wasn't CPU but HD hogging.  I mean it was bad.  Wait 30 seconds for an Explorer window to open.  Which reminds me.  Explorer drag and drop copy was dog slow until the kb fix or SP1.  I resorted to TeraCopy just to keep from gritting my teeth. The other annoyance was I could not get it to install SP1 come hell or high water.  I got so fed up I put Windows 7 on over it.

I had no complaints about Vista x64 other than it didn't have Windows 7 Superbar and there was no way to add it.  I really like the progressbar in the Taskbar Button.  Very cool.  Unfortunately the x64 Vista did not play well with W7 custom install.  It went on but the start menu and some other stuff was seriously messed around.  I restored Vista from an image and just kept it as it was until the end.

Stoic Joker:
Strangely massive cruft issue with 10.

So originally I never really thought about it as there was no need - or at least appeared to be no need - to check on the drive space situation. That is until I ran out of it in the office lab on Friday.

The original install footprint (x86pro) was IIRC in the 9GB range ... Which shouldn't have been an issue on the as provisioned 200GB partition. At least until I added 3 more, and tried running a maintenance routine to reclaim the space. So used space appeared as follows:

Original install size: 9GB
After build update (or 3): 25GB
After cleanmgr.exe run (set to kill): 12GB - but .vhdx will only compact to 22GB
After running SDelete.exe -c (this is what overflowed the drive**) .vhdx compacted to 19GB

And finally - given the activation issues - I just deleted the damn thing, and clean installed onto a new .vhdx: 7GB <--???)

No additional software was ever added to the install, so it is only Windows 10 playing games with ~5GB of space. Where is it storing what and why?? The clean install has been running for 24hrs, and is still sitting at it's original ~7GB so I'm assuming it isn't the indexing service(s) using up the space. And trying to get a birds eye view with SpaceSniffer didn't yield anything useful in the way of what was using the space either.

**Minor caveat when running the Sysinternals SDelete.exe tool, is that in the process of "Zeroing Out the Free Space" it will cause a Dynamically Expanding .vhdx to expand to its full configured size. So if you're overlapping the physical drive space by double-booking it ... This will byte you in the ass.

Thus ends todays episode of How to Learn From the Other Guy's F***ups. :D

Innuendo:
Perhaps the difference on Vista is due to the fact I bought HP "Media Center" towers.  The HD was totally hogged by Windows Media Player running mobsync.exe to test if every file in the system was a media file.  Also if you installed from retail media I am sure you were better off than buying a machine preloaded.  Between Norton AV and mobsync trying to take over the machine it was totally useless out of the box.  Later I got another tower running Vista x64 SP1 and it was fine.-MilesAhead (July 04, 2015, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Vista was a little sluggish when it was first released. It didn't crash, but it was uncharacteristically slow. Once SP1 came out, Microsoft got performance up to where it was supposed to be. Couple that with the shovelware that most OEMs cram on their machines in order to maximize revenue then it's no surprise you felt like you were trying to run in molasses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version