ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (71/253) > >>

app103:
Something's bothering me, if they're only a month away, I'd hope it was rock solid! But it all still sounds like there are fundamental basic bugs going on!
-TaoPhoenix (July 03, 2015, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

As a former AOL user and all the experiences I had with upgrading to their new releases, I would recommend waiting at least 4 months after public release, before upgrading to Win10. By then you'll have enough reports of issues to know what you'll be getting yourself into, enough official info on what to do about common issues, and Microsoft will have had a chance to fix the big, potentially fatal ones.

I have no plans on being among the first to upgrade, later this month. I have no plans on installing Win10, till maybe after Christmas, since I do need my computer for work and I'd hate to leave my employer high & dry during the height of the Christmas shopping season, while I sort out Win10 upgrading issues.

MilesAhead:
Something's bothering me, if they're only a month away, I'd hope it was rock solid! But it all still sounds like there are fundamental basic bugs going on!

Ps I wish Mark Russinovich was still on our side! He'd have a few useful things to say! But he's squirreled away into Microsoft now! : (

-TaoPhoenix (July 03, 2015, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

To add to what App said, when buying a PC preloaded I tried to wait until at least SP1 was already on.  I didn't follow that policy with a Vista machine and it was almost unusable out of the box.  It took me months to tweak it into submission.  This is roughly equivalent to App's advice waiting 4 months.  By then there should be a bunch of fixes issued.  The disadvantage compared to preloaded is you have to install then hope things don't get all confused doing all those updates.  Hopefully there will be some means to install a slipstreamed iso image instead of updates from hell syndrome.

TaoPhoenix:
I think it's kinda worse than that, and there could be real crocodiles in the water here!
:tellme:

Something like how MS does have bad habits of over-selling the marketing to generate current sales they issue "place-holder editions" of their OS, and then much later fix it up "for real". I remember vaguely how there were complicated reasons all the updates didn't line up in Win 8 and Win 8.1

This has slight tones of "get people talking about ANYTHING other than Windows 8!! Even if it's not ready!!"

Now that some of our decades-old safety habits are getting yanked away from us, I'm dreading this becomes another of MS's "haha, we didn't mean it anyway, our *real* OS is Windows ClearSky." (Because we're getting into Lucy-Charlie Brown territory, what do we think of a company that is scared to call something Windows 9?!)
PlaysForSure and Zune, I'm looking at you!

MilesAhead:
From my point of view they should have released a device OS and dumbed it down for phones and tablets.  Released a Desktop OS only for desktops.  More happy customers all around.  But since hand held crap is expanding and desktop sales shrinking, the tail will wag the whole dog.

Time for me to start brushing up on vim editor.  I can see Linux back on my desktops(when I get some.)  :)

Deozaan:
Has anyone else had activation issues with 10?-Stoic Joker (July 03, 2015, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope. I can't even remember Windows 10 asking me for any activation keys or anything, though I suppose it's possible it asked me when I first installed it several months ago.

When I upgrade, it just upgrades. It doesn't ask me for activation keys again, or say anything to me about activation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version