ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (50/253) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
IainB: Do you write for a magazine, newspaper, website, or blog?  I ask because you ALWAYS post huge walls of text (I'm not bitching here) that contain huge amounts of information...and I feel like you should be writing for $$$ lol

TaoPhoenix:
IainB: Do you write for a magazine, newspaper, website, or blog?  I ask because you ALWAYS post huge walls of text (I'm not bitching here) that contain huge amounts of information...and I feel like you should be writing for $$$ lol
-Stephen66515 (June 05, 2015, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Done!
From Mouser's little idea from a while ago, I just gave him $2 in CodyBucks! Because underneath "huge walls of text" is ... thoroughness ... which matters when a "secure data service" threatens to nuke your data on day 96 if you don't "log in and look at it".

ayryq:

The requirement to do such a side-by-side comparison predates Aero Snap in Win7 by several years, originating in early Windows stone age OS limitations. For example, I recall using a free ZDNet proggy in Win3.1 (I think it was) that conveniently popped up 2 Windows Explorer windows, stuck together side-by-side, because, well, a lot of people really needed to be able to do that, and it was a darn sight easier to use the freeware proggy than open two separate Windows Explorer instances and try to juggle their two windows side-by-side and keep the two windows ON TOP at the same time. Sheesh.
-IainB (June 05, 2015, 01:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are two new features that are really nice with Aero Snap in Windows 10: the aforementioned side-by-side "helper," (which I cancelled most of the time, making me part of "the 10%" in the article cited, I guess) and also, windows can now snap to corners—they take up ¼ of the screen in this mode. In fact, I went almost a whole day before I installed WinSplit Revolution on my PC  ;)

Before I used Compiz Grid (which was based upon WinSplit), I used a small utility that "snapped" windows to one another, and to the screen edge. Pretty handy.

Also, didn't Windows 95 introduce "Tile" mode to put windows side-by-side?

IainB:
@Stephen66515: Nice of you to notice. All donations/contributions/credits gratefully accepted. Thankyou in anticipation.
In answer to your query:

* My notes: Actually, I tend to write notes about things because I have trained myself to do that to focus my concentration on what I am involved in or doing, and because that is when and how I do most of my recording of events and thinking - that is, when I am writing and trying to articulate some meaning. The notes are useful because I can't remember everything that I do or think, so the notes act as an aide memoire. My intention is to articulate and communicate useful information and sense (rational meaning) so that I or others would be able to read it later and make some use of it, and perhaps gain from it.

* Payment for writing: I effectively get paid for my writing in those cases when my notes are included in a report for a client about a complex problem resolution, or something - where it is important that everything that needs to be mentioned is adequately dealt with in a rational, thorough and objective manner (no opinions).

* Level of detail: When I keep the notes to myself they are usually in abbreviated form, and others may never see them. However, when I put them into a report, or blog or forum in an attempt to make a useful contribution, then I will expand them and write in much more precise and factual terms that are self-contained and (hopefully) lucid. Any references I give help towards that end, and are usually already in my abbreviated notes.

@TaoPhoenix: Sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

@ayryq: Thanks for all the links - interesting, and could be useful. Not sure about Win95 functionality - I think I might have skipped using that one, or only used it for a short while.

KynloStephen66515:
http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/operating-systems/matthew-wilson/upgrading-to-windows-10-heres-which-version-you-will-get-for-free/

So Windows 10 is on the way and those of you who own a genuine license for either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 will be getting the free upgrade on the 29th of July. However, Microsoft had not fully detailed exactly which version of the operating system you would be upgrading to until now.

On a new Windows 10 question and answer page, Microsoft tried to answer quite a few common questions about the upcoming upgrade, including details on exactly which version of Windows 10 users will be receiving, as there are quite a few, which we have reported on previously.
--- End quote ---

(Q&A Page from M$): https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version