ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (42/253) > >>

Deozaan:
Supposedly it is July 29.-MilesAhead (June 01, 2015, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've read that July 29 is the RTM date. But there's a bit of a delay between RTM and when it's officially released to the public.
-Deozaan (June 01, 2015, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

And yeah, looks like it is July 29, straight from Microsoft's mouth!

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.-https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead:
One thing I noticed on TenForums was a post about what you lose if you upgrade from W7.  The main item seemed to be Media Center.  If you have a Media Center edition of Windows that upgrades to W10, the Media Center is stripped out.  I don't want to duplicate all the TenForums News articles here so I'll just supply the link if anyone wants to check out the subforum.  Once W10 is released then the forum will switch into problem solving mode.

Windows Ten Forums - News

Deozaan:
I was just reading about that here:

Feature deprecation section

* If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
* Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
* Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
* Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
* Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
* If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
* If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.-https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications
--- End quote ---

Jibz:
Feature deprecation section

* Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.-https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications
--- End quote ---
-Deozaan (June 01, 2015, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wait what? so if there is an update with issues on your system, you cannot stop it being applied?

tomos:
I have seen the offer on Windows 7 - but not on Windows 8.1, where I would actually consider updating...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version