ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (37/253) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
The key question here is: are the horrible fonts introduced in office 2013 (not cleartype, but whatever new B/W tech they are using now) the default for more apps in the OS? If so, I'm out. I'm only tolerating windows thanks to mactype, an ancient, unsuported app that fixes fonts for good.
-urlwolf (May 23, 2015, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quick guess is even if they are, if it's just fonts, there could be a way to load your own fonts and then use a utility to make them default and global and stuff.

xyChromosone:
The key question here is: are the horrible fonts introduced in office 2013 (not cleartype, but whatever new B/W tech they are using now) the default for more apps in the OS? If so, I'm out. I'm only tolerating windows thanks to mactype, an ancient, unsuported app that fixes fonts for good.
-urlwolf (May 23, 2015, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

All versions of Windows give options to change fonts system wide. I've gone as far as using custom fonts that I installed.

urlwolf:
It's not the fonts themselves but the font smoothing technology.
They are phasing out cleartype, which is the one mactype fixes.
The new technology is better for fast zooming (common in tablets) but horrible overall for readability on large desktop monitors.

I have no high hopes.

dr_andus:
...horrible overall for readability on large desktop monitors.
-urlwolf (May 24, 2015, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

So what must give? Does it mean MS expects one to get better monitors or some other hardware upgrade?

Currently I'm on Win7, 64-bit on a 3.5 yr old PC, but because of the above font smoothing problem I'm forced to use MS Office 2010 instead of 2013, even though I have both on my system.

MilesAhead:
It is Windows 8 but then again, so is Windows 10  :)

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1069839-windows-8-looks-like-old-aol/#entry594794319

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version