ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (28/253) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Posting from within Spartan

Posting this from the new Project Spartan browser in Windows 10 b10049 ... It's definitely fast. Really, really fast.
-Stoic Joker (April 02, 2015, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Does it use multiple executables?
-MilesAhead (April 02, 2015, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I'm showing 4 listed in TM just to get here - New tab == new .exe instance.
-Stoic Joker (April 03, 2015, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Does it do that for every tab? One of the things previous versions of IE was smart about, was doing tab/process grouping - so, unlike insane-o chrome, you don't end up with a zillion processes not executables. The separation of "UI" and "Worker" processes seems like a sound thing to do, but each site in its own processes is... ugh (sure, there's some security implications, but mostly it smells like a "uh, threading and async is hard" thing to me).
-f0dder (April 03, 2015, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, it took me a while to get back to this (I didn't have time to fiddle with 10). It starts with 3 for the first tab/page, added a forth for the 2nd tab, then held there for the 3rd tab. Added another for the 4th tab, and held there for the next 7. The 8th tab finally added another instance of the .exe.

So...I'll go with yes on this one.

- I just saw an article that says a search bar (may?) be hard-coded to sit there starting at you in Win10, and it's part integrated with Bing.-TaoPhoenix (April 08, 2015, 01:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is currently the - search every with tiled MSN like web highlights (ick) - default, but there is an option to remove it ... Which I'd sincerely hope they never drop.

f0dder:
Sorry, it took me a while to get back to this (I didn't have time to fiddle with 10). It starts with 3 for the first tab/page, added a forth for the 2nd tab, then held there for the 3rd tab. Added another for the 4th tab, and held there for the next 7. The 8th tab finally added another instance of the .exe.

So...I'll go with yes on this one.-Stoic Joker (April 08, 2015, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
So they still use tab/process grouping, instead of a process per tab - good :)

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

A closer look at the rather rough and not yet ready Windows 10 for phones  Ars Technica

TaoPhoenix:
What is the difference between windows 8 and windows 10?
-vencelylalas (April 13, 2015, 12:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

The big news is they rolled back some of the User Interface "UI" weirdness. Some more tweaks in the core. But I'm not sure quite what else between the lines.

I'm waiting for the "sneaky" stuff to appear in the news, and it's surprisingly not here yet - Betas have been floating around a lot, and I haven't seen the surprises I sorta expect. Don't ask me what kind, just that the early news feels like it's got gaps in it somewhere I can't pin down.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Inside Device Guard Microsoft's attempt to keep malware out of Windows 10 PCs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version