ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (18/253) > >>

Shades:
If you have a spare hard disk and sufficiently sized pen drive laying around, feel free to download a trial iso of Windows 8(.1), create a boot-able pen drive using that iso (Rufus is one of the easiest tools I know), disconnect your main hard disk, connect the spare hard disk and start installing.

There is no surer way to test if your system is able to handle a new OS. And by disconnecting your main hard disk you won't make any (unintentional) changes to your main OS. After you are done testing...disconnect the spare hard disk and reconnect your main hard disk and you are ready to roll again in the comforts of your trusted OS.

TaoPhoenix:
If you have a spare hard disk and sufficiently sized pen drive laying around, feel free to download a trial iso of Windows 8(.1), create a boot-able pen drive using that iso (Rufus is one of the easiest tools I know), disconnect your main hard disk, connect the spare hard disk and start installing.

There is no surer way to test if your system is able to handle a new OS. And by disconnecting your main hard disk you won't make any (unintentional) changes to your main OS. After you are done testing...disconnect the spare hard disk and reconnect your main hard disk and you are ready to roll again in the comforts of your trusted OS.
-Shades (March 22, 2015, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well,

besides the work involved, I also really don't believe in anything but the final real thing. So that's why I liked the quick 15 min test with cpu z.

MS moves stuff around and edge cases happen too much for me to get involved with anything before the final rollout.

MilesAhead:

-Shades (March 22, 2015, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

If lacking a HD suitable for internal mounting(for example you have an external USB or a 3.5" bare HD/USB dock combo, and a Laptop) an alternative would be to create a backup image to the bare drive or external before the attempt.  Bear in mind if you haven't actually restored to the PC using the imaging restore there is always the chance it will not boot or it may come up with some features garbled.  The only way to know for sure is to restore to the metal.  Preferably on a guinea pig PC of similar configuration if you have one.

Shades' method has fewer unknowns if you have the hardware on hand.

MilesAhead:
MS moves stuff around and edge cases happen too much for me to get involved with anything before the final rollout.
-TaoPhoenix (March 22, 2015, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Another thing you can do is install VMWare Player Free and use a W10 ISO when it is finally available, to take a test drive.  If it is not appealing deleting the VM returns the used HD space.  :)

f0dder:
Windows 10 makes disabling UEFI Secure Boot optional:-Deozaan (March 21, 2015, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Meh, that sucks :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version