ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (10/253) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
My tip for those who are trying to adapt to Windows 8/10 coming from older OSes is that you are only going to get frustrated if you try to force the new OS to have the same workflow as your old OS. Relax, keep an open mind, and explore the new tools Microsoft has supplied you. Adapt yourself to a new workflow using the new tools in the new OS and you will eventually reach a point where you are much more productive than you were with your old OS. Some stuff won't make sense at first. Some stuff will never make sense. But some stuff will eventually click with you and a day will come when if you are ever sitting in front of that old OS you'll wonder how you ever used such an archaic thing.

Honest.
-Innuendo (January 04, 2015, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I dunno, I think I disagree with this.

I have lukewarm positive reviews of Windows 7, and that's my "emergency" fallback in case my grander experiments with Win10 don't work.

I don't like the idea of "here's your new workflow, deal with it". If nothing else, this is *the* board to fill in gaps that are missing, between Nany's (maybe with an extra feature added on request), and the smaller coding snacks, over a base of other people's big ticket utilities.

Take for example the Start Menu. Time has passed, and after MS did its best to bluster its way through it, Win10 now is going back (sort of) to having Start menu variants. Until then, there were utilities that "put the OS back in its place where it belonged".

Unlike maybe making the transition between Windows and Linux (sorry, that's far harder than some people think for poor humanities birdies like me!), there's nothing fundamentally profoundly different about these new Windows versions other than MS playing games via their marketing department. So no, I don't care to just lie down on MS's train tracks and "wait for the 10 train to roll me over."

The last time this happened was MS Office and the famous 2007 Ribbon. No. So I installed a utility that darn near mostly put the old controls back *on top* of the ribbon so I could use both to my heart's content.

The only big ticket thing I don't know is if my project comp hardware can handle it - it's right on the cusp, and it's gonna be close.

MilesAhead:
Might be time to set up a VM and give it a go.
-Innuendo (January 04, 2015, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just thought I'd let you know.. I had problems with the original W10 preview x64 iso and VMWare Player 6.x. (The install hung at 50% Setting Up Devices.)  But after I updated the Player to 7.x the OS installed and ran smoothly.  VMWare Tools installed without problems. I haven't tried the newer builds yet with Player 7.  I've been playing with Linux VMs searching for the Glass Grail I've been hearing about with this Plasma stuff.  If installing in VMWare I suggest you do a custom install and turn off all the settings to share info and update drivers/apps.  That seems to cut the install time to about 45%.  It makes it bearable.  :)

I don't have any smart phones or tablets.  Otherwise I'd be more inclined to check out the W10 Apps. But since I'm only interested in Desktop stuff at present, it looks more like W7 and Linux multiboot would be my speed.  I have to learn more about GPT and UEFI etc.. before installing on the metal though.

Aside from all the Apps vs Desktop and plain Jane UI vs Glass, it seems each release of Windows sticks more stuff between the OS and the user.  It's to the point where just reading windows and moving them on the desktop requires utilities to Run As Administrator.  A bit silly really.  :)

tslim:
plain Jane UI
-MilesAhead (January 04, 2015, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Man, my greatest hate on Win8 is the "plain Jane UI". Not only missing Glass, but the plain Jane icons.
I simply don't understand how can an "ugly icon" help in touch-capability?

Arizona Hot:

Microsoft prepares to preview Windows 10 for phones  The Verge

I know! I know!

40hz:
The more I look at where Microsoft wants you to "go today" after Windows 7, the happier I am I made the switch to Linux. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version