ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (7/253) > >>

MilesAhead:
My thoughts on W10
-fredemeister (October 26, 2014, 03:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

As I moved from XP to Vista, W7, W8 and now I've tried both builds of W10 in VMs the thing that gripes me most, other than having "Apps" forced on me even though I have no use for them, it that each OS seems to add yet another Layer where your user account supposedly in the Administrators Group, has fewer privileges to do mundane things.  OK I don't mind if it asks me if I really want to run an exe the first time around if I just downloaded it.  That makes sense.  But having to do stuff like take ownership of the Program Files tree just to avoid running every little program that updates an .ini file in its own folder, as administrator, is silly.  Each release it's more of these distractions even when I put UAC to the minimum.

Also I notice my small ahk Tray programs that do simple things like watch the active window for Folders and add them to an MRU list, or that just moves windows around, have to be run as Administrator.  For this reason they may not start with Windows simply by adding a shortcut to the user's StartUp Folder.  I suspect the Start Screen business adds another layer in the way of the desktop.  But I'm not sure of the nature of it.

The other thing that annoys me is they jettisoned Glass.  It takes a lot of User Draw code just to write text on Glass.  It's very annoying to program.  But it looks cool.  Having gone to the effort of using a bit of it here and there to make program Guis look better it frosts my ass(pun unintentional) when they just chuck my work away.  Stuff that looks good in Vista and W7 often just looks stupid in W8 and later.

They don't get the whole concept that made the PC.  The idea that I have my own computer so I don't have to ask permission from the IT Guy to do something.  They want to put an IT Guy in the cloud now to boss us all around.  When it gets unbearable maybe then people will bite the bullet and do Linux or a similar open source OS instead.

fredemeister:
Agree with your comments.  Technology seems to have developed the idea it's about the technology - which is fine, but it's always been about getting the job done, and often that aspect falls by the wayside as eye candy intrudes into the process.

I like W10, and it may well keep me on Windows instead of full-time Linux in place of XP, but most stuff in the world now has a "don't worry, we know what you want and this is how it is.  Trust us, you'll see." type of approach.

I can cope with change - Windows XP DID NEED and still does need security work - but wholesale change?

Having said that, I'm complaining at the beginning of a project, without having too much interest in MS' future intentions, or what's under the hood.

It may well be W10 is the genesis of a common system across all devices, and if they pull that off, MS will recover a lot of customer confidence and support.  However, there's a real danger of them becoming Apple-like - tied to an infrastructure.  Apple do it well, although it doesn't please everyone - I just wonder if MS have the ability to be successful in that arena, particularly regarding "quality" and "it just works".

Time will tell.

superboyac:
The complaint that stands out to me is the Windows Store one.  I don't want to log into MS every time I use my computer.  I want to log in...when I need to!  I'll log into windows store when I need to buy something.  I'll log into MS Live stuff through the applications.  I don't want to log in to these things perpetually.  On Windows 8, you have to go through a few maneuvers to do this, and it breaks the windows store.  Hopefully that option still exists.  And I don't want to be forced to download software from the windows store, I'd like to also be able to download directly from the developer's site.

MilesAhead:
I'm not all that thrilled either with the idea of having to update by being hooked to MS on some network.  People keep forgetting about the index.dat files.  If they did sneaky spying that way just image how much time is spent "looking around" on your system while "updating" your software.

From what I've heard they've stopped making index.dat files on the new flavors since everyone is wise to them and knows how to delete them.  I'm not sure what the new method of browser tracking is but there must be a blog about it somewhere.

Arizona Hot:

Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879 arrives -- here's what's new

Microsoft releases new Windows 10 preview with touchpad gestures, OneDrive selective sync, and MKV support

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version