ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (199/253) > >>

rgdot:
Updated to 1709 on my laptop today. Only few minutes so far, the only thing I have noticed so far is Settings is slower to open, noticeably slower, not sure why ....

wraith808:
Updated to 1709 on my laptop today. Only few minutes so far, the only thing I have noticed so far is Settings is slower to open, noticeably slower, not sure why ....
-rgdot (November 16, 2017, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
THat's bad as it was already very slow on my desktop to open.

Stoic Joker:
-rgdot (November 16, 2017, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
THat's bad as it was already very slow on my desktop to open.
-wraith808 (November 16, 2017, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to me that they're always a bit sluggish when they first (OOBE) boot until it gets everything sorted out (/cached straight), especially with a mechanical drive. Disk activity will hit the ceiling in a flash on those things.

rgdot:
^Yes true, will see if it improves. Overall seems slightly more sluggish but will see that too.

Stoic Joker:
^Yes true, will see if it improves. Overall seems slightly more sluggish but will see that too.
-rgdot (November 17, 2017, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Be interesting to see what happens. Between home and the office I have 2 nearly identical HP Z440 workstations, both are configured with the exact same CPU & RAM. But the home machine has an NVMe drive, and the office machine has a mechanical SATA drive. Software type, amount, and configuration is also almost identical.

Office machine using Windows Update in Settings took almost 2 hours to complete the 1709 update.
Home machine using the Windows update/media creation utility took about 15 minutes.

Download time not included, this is time back to desktop after initiating reboot.

After install both run fine ... Except for the office machine blowing the Hyper-V switch apart, which the home machine did not do (even with the same configuration).

Talk about random... Damn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version