ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (195/253) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

A minor uneventful 64-bit Update.

Windows 10 Announced

Windows 10 Build 16241 gives the best sneak peek yet at the Fall Creators Update

J-Mac:
Hi all. I read through most of this topic - admittedly quickly - and naturally I found a lot of pros and cons regarding Windows 10. Of course threads like this tend to draw those having difficulties more so than those for whom it is working smoothly. Human nature, I suppose.

I presently have two computers, both running Windows 7-x64: A desktop PC and a notebook, both custom built by Puget Systems. (BTW I can't say enough good about Puget. Outstanding company!) Anyway my desktop is approaching six years young, though my notebook is only two and a half years old. I will probably be looking hard at desktops in the next six months, though the one I have seems like it will run longer than that. Specs of my desktop are still current now, at least current enough to do everything I need. Core i7 Sandy Bridge, 12 processors, 16 GB fast memory, etc. Puget Systems is building their boxes now with Windows 10, but they will still install Windows 7 if requested. Or at least they were doing that when I last spoke to someone there a few months ago.

Would it be reasonable to go with Windows 7 again for a new desktop, knowing that the hardware will support an upgrade to Windows 10 in the future? Or am I better off just getting Windows 10 when it's built?

Thanks!

Jim

Shades:
@J-Mac:
12 processors? That must have been a very expensive computer...with 12 i7 processors in it  :P

1 processor with 12 threads is more likely what you bought, all those years ago. I still work/surf/watch movies (1080p/x265 HEVC encoded) without any problem on an almost 10 year old 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, practically without any problem (sometimes a minor stutter occurs and that is fixed by restarting the WMI service).

You would think that with the shitty power grid here in Paraguay my computer would have died a long time ago or that I was fed up with it. But it keeps working just fine and after adding a SSD hard disk to it, it works great. With that in mind, you hardly need to think about getting a new computer if your usage pattern is similar to mine. But if have not done so already, add an SSD hard disk and boot from that disk. Your i7 will perform better than new.

But ok, say you do buy a new PC from Puget. While Windows 7 will work just fine on any model of new processor (from Intel or AMD) you will notice very quickly that Microsoft will make your Windows 7 installation obsolete. That is, when updating Windows with (future) MS patches, you will get a message saying that your Windows 7 installation won't receive any patch anymore because it runs on a too modern processor.

So, you will end up with Windows 10. Maybe it takes 2 or 3 months after you purchased your new system, but by then the lack of MS patches will make you install Windows 10.

The AMD Ryzen 1700 series processor will beat the performance of your current setup easily and it costs much less than an equivalent Intel processor. The several 100s of USD that you save, can then be used to buy/upgrade Windows 10 Enterprise edition if possible. And if that is not possible, go for the Pro edition of Windows 10. Don't accept anything less, if you work with custom software on which you depend for your income.

All lesser forms of Windows 10 will be updated when Microsoft deems it necessary. You have virtually no control over this and your custom software may or may not survive that update. In case it doesn't, tough luck for you. The Pro and Enterprise edition allow you more time to verify if your custom software remains working or gives the makers of your custom software time to fix whatever problem it encounters. Of course, if you don't have such software and/or don't need the new system for your income, then you can go for Windows 10 Home or worse.

Please understand, I think that Windows 10 as an operating system on itself, isn't bad at all. And there are lots of free tools available that curtail the "phoning home" capabilities, if having a sense of privacy is important to you. My only experiences with Windows 10 are with the Enterprise edition and that edition works well for my purposes. But as I tried to explain earlier in this post, the "rolling release" update method that Microsoft imposes on any Windows 10 Home edition (or worse) is unacceptable for my needs.

Deozaan:
My opinion is that if you like Windows 7 you'll probably like Windows 10, assuming you don't have to worry about older hardware that might not be properly supported these days.

I'm also using a machine approximately the same age as yours. I custom built it around this time of year in 2011.  It's a Core i7-2600K, with 16GB RAM. I've given it occasional HDD/SDD upgrades over the years, but other than that it has done well and still feels really snappy. The only thing I feel ever really holds me back (sometimes) is my GPU, which is an AMD Radeon HD 6870. But that's just for graphically intense things such as video games.

I've been using Windows 10 since it launched and have been very happy with it on this machine. As with all versions of Windows, Windows 10 has some quirks, but it didn't take me long to adjust and learn how to deal with them to the point which I no longer really notice them. That said, your experience may vary from mine.

Your current system is beefy enough (mine certainly is) that you could probably handle installing Windows 10 in a VM to give it a test drive. It won't have native performance, of course, but at least you'll be able to get a feel for things before you make the leap.

wraith808:
Well said, Deo, and I'm another anecdotal testimony to the fact that it works well on such hardware.  I built mine in 2014 or so, and my daughters in 2010, and they work fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version