ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (172/253) > >>

wraith808:
I simply don’t have the time now to spend working around Microsoft’s debugging process for Win 10. When Microsoft gets their act together and things stabilize, I will consider upgrading the OS, but not before.
-xtabber (September 22, 2016, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup. Well put. Same here.
-dr_andus (September 22, 2016, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that the same as for any organization?  I don't ever remember one of my organizations being on the cutting edge of OS upgrades, ever.

dr_andus:
I simply don’t have the time now to spend working around Microsoft’s debugging process for Win 10. When Microsoft gets their act together and things stabilize, I will consider upgrading the OS, but not before.
-xtabber (September 22, 2016, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup. Well put. Same here.
-dr_andus (September 22, 2016, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that the same as for any organization?  I don't ever remember one of my organizations being on the cutting edge of OS upgrades, ever.

-wraith808 (September 22, 2016, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're right, there are good business reasons not to be early adopters of OS (i.e. not absorbing the cost of being guinea pigs).

But here I was thinking of my personal desktops and laptops, and Which? is also about consumers, rather than businesses.

And ultimately I think MS wanted to pursue a consumer-targeted strategy of spreading Win10 to compete with Apple and Google, among others.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

What to do when you hate Windows 10

exjoburger:

Anyone here still using Win 7?

--- End quote ---

Yes, on most of my home PCs and laptops. My one "excuse" is that my work is on Windows 7 (and they are unlikely to upgrade for some time). I also quite like Win 7.

I only upgraded one computer to Windows 10, an oldish Lenovo Thinkpad which I'd previously updated from Vista to Win 7. It runs horribly slow, but I know that is because of the hardware - and it probably could do with a fresh install.

I'm vaguely tempted to update one of my faster machines (both with i5 processors and enough memory and disk space) to Windows 10, but can't decide between my laptop which I mainly use to sync with my iPhone and manage media, or my Primary Desktop. I have a secondary desktop, but that dual boots between Windows XP and Windows 7, and I really need to move the one or two programs off XP onto Windows 7.

exjoburger:
Arizona Hot, thanks for the "What to do when you hate Windows 10" link.  :Thmbsup:

I didn't realize that you could no longer easily go back to a previous version of Windows during the first 31 days (From Point 4 of the article). This will make me think twice before upgrading to Windows 10. Fortunately I keep my OS and Data on separate partitions, so the "Nuclear Option" of returning to Windows 7 is easier.

The comments section of the PC World article also makes interesting reading, it seems very few people are totally happy without having to do some workaround with Windows 10.

Is anyone here really happy with vanilla Windows 10?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version