ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (146/253) > >>

4wd:
Any tips for upgrading to Windows 10 now?
=> upgrading from 8.1, I'm going try keeping programmes unless advised otherwise.
-tomos (January 06, 2016, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes: Check with the manufacturer of the computer if an upgrade to Windows 10 is supported.
In hindsight I found out why my upgrade adventures failed for my Lenovo Y580 laptop: Lenovo states that it is not possible to upgrade that specific model (and a few others) to Windows 10.
-Ath (January 07, 2016, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks Ath,
that knocks the idea on the head -- it's a Lenovo (n581) that is included in that list as not recommended. It doesnt clearly state why (that I could see), so I probably wont bother following up on it.
-tomos (January 07, 2016, 04:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think I'd be tempted to go ahead anyway, just image the drive and let it update, then do an image after it has 10 on it.

If it doesn't work restore the image, you'll have lost a couple of hours but on the flip side the laptop is now registered with a Windows 10 license so that if relevant drivers ever do appear for esoteric hardware, you can upgrade for nothing.

Otherwise, you might find that you can live without whatever functions no longer work under 10.

tomos:
^ Okay, decided to go for it. The Windows upgrade window/dialogue said the machine is okay.

I clicked on Start download now, upgrade later
I got a flash of this window (or something very similar) - but it immediately disappeared:

Windows 10 Announced

I not sure what happened.

* Task Manager shows GWX running, using no CPU, and less than one MB ram
* I'm pretty sure there's nothing being downloaded
* Internet connection is working fine
So, I tried it again (I get the initial dialogue again), and got exactly the same result.

Any tips?
(I didnt get very far with online search)

Stoic Joker:
It may be trickling in using BITS, so look for a hidden folder named $Windows.~BT on the root of the C: drive. In there you should have a - (getting) rather large -  install.esd file in the (IIRC) sources folder.

tomos:
It may be trickling in using BITS, so look for a hidden folder named $Windows.~BT on the root of the C: drive. In there you should have a - (getting) rather large -  install.esd file in the (IIRC) sources folder.
-Stoic Joker (January 08, 2016, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I unhid system files -- there's no folder by that name.

Ath:
The waiting frustrated me too much ;D, I'd advice to use the MCT, get it from here

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version