ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (111/253) > >>

f0dder:
Apparently I just needed to RTFM ... It was a legacy setting that had gotten reset when I flashed the BIOS a few weeks back.-Stoic Joker (August 02, 2015, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
"Remap memory" setting in the BIOS, eh?

Kinda sucks that flashing a new BIOS reset all settings - it would be nice if settings-reset was an option you got after flashing (in case you were flashing because of FUBAR, and FUBAR was caused by bad settings).

f0dder:
I cannot believe what I just read about the Win 10 start menu and "all apps" view (plus search!):
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/review-windows-10-is-the-best-version-yet-once-the-bugs-get-fixed/
In Windows 10, it's... different. Windows creates a per-user database containing all the entries that are in Start, both the live tile portion and the All apps portion. This database is (inexplicably) maintained by a system service running as the super-privileged SYSTEM identity. And at the time of writing, this database has the oh-so convenient feature of being limited to around 500 entries.
--- End quote ---

Holy shit, it shipped like that!?!?!? What. The. Actual. Fuck!?-JavaJones (August 06, 2015, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ho humm - moving to a database might make sense for really fast lookups (especially if that part of the codebase is shared between desktop and mobile devices). Sounds a bit weird to limit this database (at least that much), though, since lookups should be that much faster. And it seems insane to make the indexing run as SYSTEM when it really only should require your local user privileges - the arstechnica article certainly makes that part of Win10 sound broken :)

Stoic Joker:
Apparently I just needed to RTFM ... It was a legacy setting that had gotten reset when I flashed the BIOS a few weeks back.-Stoic Joker (August 02, 2015, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
"Remap memory" setting in the BIOS, eh?

Kinda sucks that flashing a new BIOS reset all settings...-f0dder (August 12, 2015, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

There was a time when that behavior was normal ... Which is why I should have known better. I just didn't think to check because I was in a hurry. My computer isn't supposed to break...Ya know? ...That shit only happens to other people.  :D

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Patch bundles are the new norm for Windows 10  Computerworld

Yesterday's Windows Update was this kind.

IainB:
A few days ago, the MS Money user forums were buzzing about how Win10 had disabled MS Money - when MS Money started up, it suddenly stopped and said it needed IE6 to be installed.
(For those as might not know it, MS Money uses IE as its primary UI.)

When my MS Money (Sunset version) failed on this error, I clicked the "Send Error Report" button.

Reading the forums, a workaround to the problem was soon discovered. A good description of the problem and the workaround is here: Windows 10 Compatibility with Microsoft Money | Ameridan's Microsoft Money Offline Weblog

However, following a Win10 update today, MS Money is now working perfectly again.
Kudos to MS for fairly swift action on this. I don't know whether the error was a bug, or if it only affected MS Money, but the effect of fixing it seems to indicate that MS is listening and just might be aware of the need to support this and other legacy applications in Win10.

I am cross-posting this to Microsoft Money Plus Sunset - Mini-Review

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version