ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (57/253) > >>

4wd:
None of that makes sense to me.

The Insider Program is already opt-in. :huh:
-Deozaan (June 20, 2015, 02:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

From what arstechnica and other sites are saying, those who had XP/Vista and installed the Preview (with Insider account) now get the stable retail version on July 29 and get to keep it, so you can opt out of the Insider Program at that point but still retain the full licensed version of 10.

What I can see here is it seems like a ridiculously easy way to get from the crippled non-Pro versions of XP/Vista to 10 Pro possibly.  Anyway, I'm going to install it on the netbook just for laughs and will see what'll happen on July 30 :)

Innuendo:
What I can see here is it seems like a ridiculously easy way to get from the crippled non-Pro versions of XP/Vista to 10 Pro possibly.  Anyway, I'm going to install it on the netbook just for laughs and will see what'll happen on July 30 :)-4wd (June 20, 2015, 03:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

You may have a pretty good shot of it working what with MS trying their best to write Windows 10 so it will not only work on desktops and laptops, but tablets as well.

I have a feeling it will all depend upon your netbook. Some netbook manufacturers put the equivalent of a basic laptop inside a netbook shell. Other manufacturers took....cheaper routes and went with more basic components.

TaoPhoenix:
You may have a pretty good shot of it working what with MS trying their best to write Windows 10 so it will not only work on desktops and laptops, but tablets as well.

I have a feeling it will all depend upon your netbook. Some netbook manufacturers put the equivalent of a basic laptop inside a netbook shell. Other manufacturers took....cheaper routes and went with more basic components.
-Innuendo (June 20, 2015, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

My comp is "decent but older", so I was really hoping MS would take some time to try to really drill down and tune Win10 to run clean.

I'm just nervous about this whole upgrade thing - I've been pondering a dual boot with a full install so I'll have to ask some of y'all if any of you do that route in a couple of months.

Stoic Joker:
FWIW I finally got a Windows 10 Reservation prompt, on my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop (It's a trash can rescue). It's currently running (acceptably) Windows 8.1 with 3GB of RAM and a Celeron 2.2GHz (1 core) CPU.

If I was sure I could upgrade it now and still get/have/qualify for the final...I'd make the jump today. I haven't seen anything in 10's behavior that made me think it'll use/need any more resources than 8.1.

Deozaan:
Anyway, I'm going to install it on the netbook just for laughs and will see what'll happen on July 30 :)-4wd (June 20, 2015, 03:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ooh! I never thought to try installing the preview image on my netbook! Thanks for the idea!

Now I just need to download the latest disc image I can burn. I've just been updating my VM via Windows Update, so my image is a bit out of date.

Maybe Arizona Hot can add a link to the preview-iso download page to the first post to make it easy to find in the future?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version