ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (26/253) > >>

f0dder:
Posting from within Spartan

Posting this from the new Project Spartan browser in Windows 10 b10049 ... It's definitely fast. Really, really fast.
-Stoic Joker (April 02, 2015, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Does it use multiple executables?
-MilesAhead (April 02, 2015, 02:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I'm showing 4 listed in TM just to get here - New tab == new .exe instance.
-Stoic Joker (April 03, 2015, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Does it do that for every tab? One of the things previous versions of IE was smart about, was doing tab/process grouping - so, unlike insane-o chrome, you don't end up with a zillion processes not executables. The separation of "UI" and "Worker" processes seems like a sound thing to do, but each site in its own processes is... ugh (sure, there's some security implications, but mostly it smells like a "uh, threading and async is hard" thing to me).

MilesAhead:
^^ chromium had a command line switch to limit the number of exe instances.  It was something about max render whatever.  I searched for a similar switch in google chrome.  I couldn't find it.  Like right now I have 5 tabs open and there are 11 exe instances running.  It is fast though.  :)

Innuendo:
^^ chromium had a command line switch to limit the number of exe instances.  It was something about max render whatever.  I searched for a similar switch in google chrome.  I couldn't find it.  Like right now I have 5 tabs open and there are 11 exe instances running.  It is fast though.  :)-MilesAhead (April 03, 2015, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Has to be fast so it can be quick enough to send all your browser activity back to the mothership in real-time. :)

Sorry...couldn't resist. ;)

MilesAhead:
^^ chromium had a command line switch to limit the number of exe instances.  It was something about max render whatever.  I searched for a similar switch in google chrome.  I couldn't find it.  Like right now I have 5 tabs open and there are 11 exe instances running.  It is fast though.  :)-MilesAhead (April 03, 2015, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Has to be fast so it can be quick enough to send all your browser activity back to the mothership in real-time. :)

Sorry...couldn't resist. ;)
-Innuendo (April 04, 2015, 09:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I try to use chromium.  It's open source.  But now they have it so flash won't work with it.  At least I couldn't get it to go.

As far as the mother ship goes, I come from a Paternalistic Planet.  What you Earthlings call the "Mother Ship" we call, roughly translated, the "Father Barge."  It's quite massive.  It moves slowly in space.  An Earthling on a bicycle could beat it 0 - 40 MPH easily.  But it moves quite quickly through time.  That's why you must forgive us if we seem annoyed.  It's just that we have witnessed all this planet's mistakes many times over.  The first 100 or so times it's like a movie where you can watch it again every now and now(for time travelers it is always the present) because you forget the one-liners.  But like M*A*S*H there comes a time when you know when Hawkeye is gonna' do his Groucho impression yet again.

Still, it manages to amuse sufficiently to earn benign neglect. No one has proposed obliteration in a long time now.

tomos:
didnt notice this mentioned (may have missed it)

For now Microsoft is keeping it quiet, but Build 9926 of the Windows 10 Technical Preview released last week can be downloaded and installed via Windows Update on Windows 7 and Windows 8.
[...]
For now this method comes with a caveat: a small file is needed. Users go to Microsoft’s Technical Preview page and click the ‘Start upgrade now’ button. This downloads the file, you run it and afterwards you will be prompted to restart your PC. On first boot Windows Update will now show ‘Upgrade to Windows 10’ as an option.-http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/02/02/windows-10-automatic-install/
--- End quote ---
my emphasis

is it really ready for fully upgrading OS?
(I wouldnt chance it myself, not yet anyways)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version