ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (250/253) > >>

tomos:
Migrating from 7 to 10 was free. While it is not free anymore officially, Microsoft still doesn't charge you if you upgrade. There is a loophole for people with disabilities. And Microsoft doesn't check if that moniker applies to you or not.

Anyway, your registration data from Windows 7 is retrievable for the Windows 10 installer too. While I would not expect it to be the case, if you were using a Microsoft account in Windows 7, your registration data is stored at Microsoft. Reusing that account will activate Windows 10 as well. So, there are 3 ways around activation in your case.However, you should check if you now have Windows 10 Home instead of Windows 10 Pro. Although you (the user) would expect this to be the case, but if I understood correctly, that is only if you bought a retail version of Windows 7 Pro. If you bought an OEM system with Windows 7 Pro on it, it got demoted to Windows 10 Home after the upgrade to 10.
-Shades (August 22, 2021, 02:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

* yeah, I was just surprised the upgrade was still working -- and in such a user friendly manner at that...
* local account, so yeah, I presume the installer retrieved the data
* they were generous and gave me Pro version. It's a Dell business laptop fwiw, but still OEM I presume. Note that here in Germany you are legally allowed sell OEM copies of Windows for general use (I've bought and installed a couple of OEM copies of earlier versions of Windows over the years). That could possibly be a factor here.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced     Windows 10 Announced

Microsoft’s Windows Subsystem for Android app spotted in the Store

Now the question is: "Will this work with Windows 10 as well as Win 11?"

This Seemingly Normal Lightning Cable Will Leak Everything You Type

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced    Windows 10 Announced    Windows 10 Announced

Android Trojan secretly signs you up for subscription payments

Parallels Desktop 17.1 adds full support for macOS Monterey and Windows 11

DEXs come to the rescue after China bans crypto

Deozaan:
Has Notepad disappeared for anyone else?

I noticed a couple days ago that regular .txt files have started opening in LibreOffice, showing the icon for "Calc" which is the LibreOffice equivalent of Excel.

When I go to Default Apps to change it back to Notepad, there's no listing for it.

Windows 10 Announced

And also if I press the Start/Windows button and type Notepad to search for it, I don't get any matching results.

Windows 10 Announced

What happened to Notepad?

Dormouse:
What happened to Notepad?
-Deozaan (December 17, 2021, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
I still have mine. Did yesterday anyway.
10 not 11 though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version