ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (234/253) > >>

Deozaan:
The Windows 10 Start Menu still has a hierarchical layout like it did in Windows 7 and earlier, and AFAIK you're able to organize it however you want.-Deozaan (February 19, 2020, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't delete any entries nor can I drag'n'drop to rearrange them - everything just gets lumped under an alphabetical order.

There appears to be no way to 'declutter' the start menu of the rubbish I don't require, (eg. Xbox Game Bar, Your phone, etc).
-4wd (February 20, 2020, 04:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can no longer delete and drag'n'drop from the Start Menu to reorganize files, but you can still delete or reorganize from your AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ folders.

Windows Store apps are another story and do indeed just get listed alphabetically, and there seems to be no way to remove them from the Start Menu without uninstalling them. And also as you said, it seems there are some Microsoft apps that are bundled with Windows and cannot be uninstalled, such as Your Phone and the Xbox Game Bar. So there's not much that can be done about those.

But I'm with wraith808. While I do sometimes use the pinned/tiled apps, I rarely use the list of programs in the Start Menu anymore. I just press the Windows key and start typing and press enter. If the Start Menu search doesn't find what I'm looking for, I create a shortcut and give it a name I'll remember to search for and pin that shortcut to the Start Menu. And if I don't know the name of what I'm looking for, then how would I know where to find it in the Start Menu anyway? Unless of course, I've done as you suggested and manually filed it into a "Video" subfolder of the appropriate Start Menu directory as stated above.

Stoic Joker:
But I'm with wraith808. While I do sometimes use the pinned/tiled apps, I rarely use the list of programs in the Start Menu anymore. I just press the Windows key and start typing and press enter. If the Start Menu search doesn't find what I'm looking for, I create a shortcut and give it a name I'll remember to search for and pin that shortcut to the Start Menu-Deozaan (February 21, 2020, 02:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same here … Hell, I forgot the list was even there I haven't used it in so long.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Windows 10 Warning: Users Hit By Serious New Failure

Deozaan:
Windows 10 Warning: Users Hit By Serious New Failure
-Arizona Hot (May 09, 2020, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

What a terrible article. The headline makes it sound like there's a security vulnerability or data is being lost. All the article says is that Game Mode is broken for some GPUs, but it doesn't say how or what the symptoms are.

Arizona Hot:
It does tell you that Microsoft is having a lot of trouble fixing Win10 at this time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version