ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win9 will be FREE!

<< < (6/16) > >>

tomos:
If MS uses #9 for an upgrade  numbering the next completely new O/S #10 seems perfectly logical.
-Cuffy (September 30, 2014, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

well, if you put it like that ('logical'), I'll have to mention this:

Vista is NT 6.0.

Windows 7 was indeed a polishing of Vista, that's why it was NT 6.1.
-db90h (March 22, 2012, 05:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

not sure where that leaves 8, or 9 or 10 ...

Stoic Joker:
If MS uses #9 for an upgrade  numbering the next completely new O/S #10 seems perfectly logical.
-Cuffy (September 30, 2014, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

well, if you put it like that ('logical'), I'll have to mention this:

Vista is NT 6.0.

Windows 7 was indeed a polishing of Vista, that's why it was NT 6.1.
-db90h (March 22, 2012, 05:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

not sure where that leaves 8, or 9 or 10 ...
-tomos (September 30, 2014, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

So if we're gong there.... At what version do they have to stop calling the Technology New... Shouldn't it be SOS10 instead?

Jibz:
Saw someone calling it Win OS X .. made me chuckle.

SeraphimLabs:
I still want to know why people actually continue to pay for Office when OpenOffice does the same job and costs nothing.

And OpenOffice isn't the only GPL backed alternative.

To me, Microsoft at this point only retains its marketplace dominance just because its what everyone has been using and the name everyone knows to look at.

Everything done by Microsoft has open source equivalents available, some of which may actually be the better solution.

In time people will realize this, and the microsoft dominance will break. Or some other fresh startup will take hold, and do to Microsoft what Microsoft did to CP/M almost 30 years ago.

wraith808:
I still want to know why people actually continue to pay for Office when OpenOffice does the same job and costs nothing.

-SeraphimLabs (September 30, 2014, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because OpenOffice is slow and non-responsive.  Just answering for myself.  When I built my new computer, I'd decided to try to stop using Office.  My experience with OpenOffice was underwhelming enough that I'm looking at getting into Office 365, especially with all that it offers.  It takes a lot longer to open the same documents (even native) on my new, faster computer than my old computer.  And trying to open the same rtf document on both?  It's no comparison.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version