ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win9 will be FREE!

<< < (3/16) > >>

Stoic Joker:
As goes the Ala Carte scourge ... It's only a dollar..!

This is a dollar, that is a dollar...the other thing(s) are only a dollar. And then all of a suddenly your stuck with close to a car payment - For :)ing Life - hoping that you don't get into a bind because then all your stuff is (gone) being held hostage by a faceless corporation that wants it monthly feeding - plus late fee$...

Windows OS goes monthly ...(today's letters become F and O)... Stoic Joker Goes Linux.

wraith808:
As goes the Ala Carte scourge ... It's only a dollar..!

This is a dollar, that is a dollar...the other thing(s) are only a dollar. And then all of a suddenly your stuck with close to a car payment - For :)ing Life - hoping that you don't get into a bind because then all your stuff is (gone) being held hostage by a faceless corporation that wants it monthly feeding - plus late fee$...

Windows OS goes monthly ...(today's letters become F and O)... Stoic Joker Goes Linux.
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2014, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the worse case scenario.  The thing that is making me think about office is the fact that you get a locally installed version, you can save your files locally, and they're the standard office format.  You have to read the fine print of course, but even looking at the fine print, I don't see any gotchas.

40hz:
--- End quote ---

I bit the bullet and really started using NIX a while back. More as a hedge in case Microsoft went psychotic. So far they haven't. The Office 365 deal (in its present form) is pretty decent and makes sense for many people.

But despite all that, I still ended up preferring Linux over Windows on the desktop. Windows just feels clunky and looks cartoon-ish to me. Virtually everything I do for myself these days is done under Linux.

Windows Server is still a fine OS however. I have very few issues with using or recommending Microsoft's server products.

Just my :two:. YMMV

dr_andus:
This is a dollar, that is a dollar...the other thing(s) are only a dollar.
--- End quote ---

The big problem with this model is that it may reduce diversity and competition (if everyone starts using it). While an individual consumer may afford to buy a vast range of software for one-off payments over the years (which he/she gets to keep indefinitely), his/her monthly/annual budget for subscriptions will be limited. So each consumer will settle on a very small number of essential subscriptions, which is likely to lead to the development of monopolies and the wiping out of small developers (methinks...)

rgdot:
I don't see how one can compare something that you turn your computer on with Office. I am pretty sure PC manufacturers will hate the idea of both starting Windows with a sub or their PCs coming with 1 or 2 year sub built in. I will be pretty surprised if MS can convince Dell and others this is good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version