ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win9 will be FREE!

<< < (4/16) > >>

Stoic Joker:
As goes the Ala Carte scourge ... It's only a dollar..!

This is a dollar, that is a dollar...the other thing(s) are only a dollar. And then all of a suddenly your stuck with close to a car payment - For :)ing Life - hoping that you don't get into a bind because then all your stuff is (gone) being held hostage by a faceless corporation that wants it monthly feeding - plus late fee$...

Windows OS goes monthly ...(today's letters become F and O)... Stoic Joker Goes Linux.
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2014, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the worse case scenario. -wraith808 (September 30, 2014, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dam Straight, and there is nothing in the industries recent behavior that would give one the impression that they have any intention of holding back an inch once the tip goes in.

The thing that is making me think about office is the fact that you get a locally installed version, you can save your files locally, and they're the standard office format.  You have to read the fine print of course, but even looking at the fine print, I don't see any gotchas.-wraith808 (September 30, 2014, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sure it sounds like a great deal, but when the subscription runs out because hard times have hit, and the software shuts down. What do you open the files with? And what happens to all your stuff that is stored in the cloud?

Stoic Joker:
This is a dollar, that is a dollar...the other thing(s) are only a dollar.
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2014, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

The big problem with this model is that it may reduce diversity and competition (if everyone starts using it). While an individual consumer may afford to buy a vast range of software for one-off payments over the years (which he/she gets to keep indefinitely), his/her monthly/annual budget for subscriptions will be limited. So each consumer will settle on a very small number of essential subscriptions, which is likely to lead to the development of monopolies and the wiping out of small developers (methinks...)
-dr_andus (September 30, 2014, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

That I hadn't thought about...but you definitely got a point there.

wraith808:
Sure it sounds like a great deal, but when the subscription runs out because hard times have hit, and the software shuts down. What do you open the files with? And what happens to all your stuff that is stored in the cloud?
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2014, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I'd think that you'd manage that ahead of time, and get your stuff out of the cloud.  And it's standard office format, so OpenOffice still opens it.  And you can still open the documents from the cloud office for free- no payment required.

Stoic Joker:
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2014, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I'd think that you'd manage that ahead of time, and get your stuff out of the cloud.-wraith808 (September 30, 2014, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Given fair warning, perhaps ... But life seldom happens on schedule.

And it's standard office format, so OpenOffice still opens it. -wraith808 (September 30, 2014, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

For now, but there always seem to be varying levels of compatibility with that sort of thing.

And you can still open the documents from the cloud office for free- no payment required.
-wraith808 (September 30, 2014, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

For now.. But if one doesn't have ready access to an internet connection it can needlessly complicate things at a very bad time.

I just don't think it's wise to trust a corporation to do what's best for anyone but themselves. My stuff, is my stuff...and it stays with me.

rgdot:
 :huh:

Instead of announcing the next version of its iconic operating system in front of a massive crowd of thousands, Microsoft chose an intimate venue with 50 or so reporters to launch the new Windows, which it's calling Windows 10. The company looks at the new number (yes, it skipped a number) as an indication of the direction it's taking with the OS;
--- End quote ---

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/30/microsoft-windows-10/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version