ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a new Anti-Virus and need you guys to help!

<< < (4/5) > >>

Innuendo:
Please, do NOT rely on Microsoft Security Essentials to protect your PC. Most independent AV testing organizations are even starting to drop it from their regular testing because it can't compete with even the worst freeware AV solutions. Microsoft has let it languish on the vine far too long. It will let all sorts of nasty stuff install on your system while it obliviously studies its shoe laces.

If we're talking free AV solutions, there are a lot of choices out there and most of them are not bad at all. Right now, the one that is considered to be the best free solution is BitDefender Free:

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

I've never used it, but it gets great reviews and always scores extremely well in independent tests. When someone asks me for something free to install I've been pointing them in BitDefender Free's direction & I haven't had anyone come back and complain yet.

TaoPhoenix:
Please, do NOT rely on Microsoft Security Essentials to protect your PC. Most independent AV testing organizations are even starting to drop it from their regular testing because it can't compete with even the worst freeware AV solutions. Microsoft has let it languish on the vine far too long. It will let all sorts of nasty stuff install on your system while it obliviously studies its shoe laces.
-Innuendo (September 27, 2014, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

My comp knowledge is a little erratic, so forgive the newb-ish question, but didn't MSE *used* to be considered good at one point? A ways back the IT guy at my old job seemed to think it was fine.

I can totally see MS doing something like dropping the ball so it "stopped being good", but wasn't it (sorta) good once?

Meanwhile I'll try to remember this thread because I've been idly meaning to switch out of MSE for a long time, and I just didn't manage to put together a research campaign.

MerleOne:
IMHO Avast Free is excellent.  I however use WebRoot Internet Security; which is light but tends to give a bunch of false positives, though they can be excluded easily.  I had a license through a rebate offer.  I also saw a huge discount recently for BullGuard, supposedly a variant of BitDefender.  I tried that latter one but uninstalled it, sorry can't remember why.

ilikefree09:
I would use Avira Antivir (free)
Use a host file
Block third party cookies
Install Better Privacy (Free)
Regularly scan with MalwareBytes Free version
I also use Ghostry which even blocks the tracking cookie from this site (Google Analytics)

40hz:
My current favorite is BitDefender. Either the "free for personal" or paid-for Pro.

I use the pro version myself, supplemented by occasional on-demand scans with Malwarebytes Antimalware and/or Super Antimalware.

This trio (along with staying current with Windows Update) seems to catch everything that's catch-able so far (knock wood).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version